Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 06:30 PM

Default JJ UTG

Tournament is $5 rebuy on Party. I was moved to this table around 5 hands ago, my first hand at this table I raised a limper with AKo, and made him fold a rag flop, after he min-bet.
240 players left, money for 140 - I'm a little below average.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t12670)
Hero (t13270)
UTG+1 (t36050)
MP1 (t6130)
MP2 (t28045)
MP3 (t35031)
CO (t5650)
Button (t29265)
SB (t10652)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t2400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t6000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero?

What is my action here? Fold? I'm still in good shape with a fold, but my stack is decreasing rapidly with these blinds.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: JJ UTG

Are you looking to squeeze by and place? Or are you looking to place higher (final tablish). If you just want to place I think folding is a good idea.

Personally when I play, I play to win. Pushing is my move here.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 PM

Before you make any decision to call, reraise or fold is come to a decision as to what he has. A. He has you beat with an overpair. B. He has two overcards (AK, AQ, etc.) C. You have him dominated with an underpair.

Make a decision and act on that decision.

Personally, you have very little information, but it being a $5 rebuy on Party, I wouldn't give them credit for having an overpair. I vote B, so just call, if no Ace or King shows up, then move all in.

If you feel like gambling, just move all-in preflop.

If you just want to take the conservative route and making the money of this $5 tourney is that important to you, then fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure I like just calling here. If he calls he's going to have a hard time just making it into the money. He's left with about 7000 chips and once the blinds go up he's very short stacked.

If he's calling he should be pushing IMO. There aren't really three choices here. Only two. Push or fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's calling he should be pushing IMO. There aren't really three choices here. Only two. Push or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Before you make any decision to call, reraise or fold is come to a decision as to what he has. A. He has you beat with an overpair. B. He has two overcards (AK, AQ, etc.) C. You have him dominated with an underpair.

Make a decision and act on that decision.

Personally, you have very little information, but it being a $5 rebuy on Party, I wouldn't give them credit for having an overpair. I vote B, so just call, if no Ace or King shows up, then move all in.

If you feel like gambling, just move all-in preflop.

If you just want to take the conservative route and making the money of this $5 tourney is that important to you, then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you basically said that I can do everything. It's easy enough to say 'pick a hand and play according to that'. I'm well aware what hands I'm ahead of, and which hands I'm behind.
What I'm asking is, what do you think villains most likely holding is, and how does MP1's coldcall with half his stack affect your play?

I'm playing this to win it - I don't care about the $20 in the money, I want 1st place. Given that, is it a push?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing this to win it - I don't care about the $20 in the money, I want 1st place. Given that, is it a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question. Push it.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Anyone think that calling the t3600 and then pushing all-in at any flop is a possible play here?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM

No because you're putting yourself in a bad position if an ace, king, queen flops.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think that calling the t3600 and then pushing all-in at any flop is a possible play here?

[/ QUOTE ]
why would you want to stop n' go right now?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No because you're putting yourself in a bad position if an ace, king, queen flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Captain Obvious.