Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Please critique our rules and regulations

PDF File Here

These are the -almost- complete rules and regulations for our home cash games and tournaments, please take a look and critique.

Anything wrong? Anything important missing?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Please critique our rules and regulations

I alwys like tosee a rule to the effect that the Floorperson (or whoever is your decisonmaker) is to make his ruling based upon fairness and the best interests of the game even if the ruling is not consistent with the strcit reading of the posted rules.

I also like to see a rule that a player is responsible for making his action clear to the dealer (players mumbling or whispering may be misinterpreted by the dealer and that should be considered the players fault, similarly if a player waves the back of his hand a dealer may interpret that as either a fold, check or "all-in" at different times a player who chooses to use vague motions to signal his action does so at his own risk)
Old 03-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Why is there a maximum of 3 raises? The example in the first section is NL.

J
Old 03-09-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I alwys like tosee a rule to the effect that the Floorperson (or whoever is your decisonmaker) is to make his ruling based upon fairness and the best interests of the game even if the ruling is not consistent with the strcit reading of the posted rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, thought I already had "in th interest of fairness and for the good of the game" in there, but I don't.

[ QUOTE ]

I also like to see a rule that a player is responsible for making his action clear to the dealer (players mumbling or whispering may be misinterpreted by the dealer and that should be considered the players fault, similarly if a player waves the back of his hand a dealer may interpret that as either a fold, check or "all-in" at different times a player who chooses to use vague motions to signal his action does so at his own risk)

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 PM

No excessive drinking?! What the hell kind of home game rule is that?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is there a maximum of 3 raises? The example in the first section is NL.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

That's standard in most card rooms. I've never had that as an "official" rule, and it's never been an issue. However, I want to have it in there to prevent situations where a group of players waste everyone's time by min-raising each other over and over in a round. Bet - raise - raise - raise - raise - raise - raise - etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's standard in most card rooms. I've never had that as an "official" rule, and it's never been an issue. However, I want to have it in there to prevent situations where a group of players waste everyone's time by min-raising each other over and over in a round. Bet - raise - raise - raise - raise - raise - raise - etc, etc, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can guarantee you that if/when a situation like that does come up, you'll easily spend more time explaining and arguing this rule (and the reasons behind it) than the two idiots would take putting eachother all-in.

Exactly how deep of stacks are you playing with here? How long could it possibly take after the first three raises to get the next ten in? One minute? That hardly constitutes the need for a rule, unless you find it happening like ten times per night.

You'd probably be better off just putting in a rule like: "Management reserves the right to take aside any players who min-raise eachother for a long enough time to distract from the enjoyment of other players, and kick them in the genitals repeatedly."
Old 03-09-2006, 07:45 PM

The problem with a 3 raise maximum in NL is that if you have four players on a draw they can make a minimum bet and three minimum raises and prevent another player after them from coming over the top. I have never seen the problem you describe occur because even after a few min raises usually a player will make a substantial raise to try to take it down
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM

As stated, it's never been an issue, and from comments here and elsewhere, I am now considering removing that from the NL/PL section.

However, is this not a standard rule, including NL?

...and after checking Robert's rules, this is rule #1 in the NL section:

1. The number of raises in any betting round is unlimited.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 PM

I have heard of that rule being used, and folks bitching about it because NL is traditionally uncapped.

J