Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Hand Analysis--Drawing to flush in multiway pot

I kept getting great odds to keep drawing. When/should I have abandoned this hand if at all?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27.75 BB
Old 03-08-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Hand Analysis--Drawing to flush in multiway pot

Checkraise the flop.

Raise the river until your fingers bleed. Don't tell me you were scared of a boat.

vvvvvvvvv Edit: ooh good catch, raise preflop.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:33 PM

Preflop: raise

Flop: raise (checking the first time was correct)

Turn: good

River: good - mp2 should have a samller flush; hopefully for you the button had AQ insted of AA or QQ
Old 03-08-2006, 05:44 PM

As some cerebral exercises, let's take a look at a couple other situations where we raise preflop. Suppose the button isn't a maniac and at least a little tight--aggro or passive.

Suppose we raised preflop, button treys, we call. Same flop, we check, button bets, we checkraise, button treys, we cap, he and the field calls.

Turn action is the same: BB bets out, we call, button raises, field calls.

What's our river play?

What if the button called our raise preflop, raised our flop bet, we trey, button caps. Same turn and river action. Whatcha doing?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: raise

Flop: raise (checking the first time was correct)

Turn: good

River: good - mp2 should have a samller flush; hopefully for you the button had AQ insted of AA or QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly right. You are also in the perfect spot to trap this giant field for more bets. You have the nut flush draw that will come in way over 33% of the time. You only need to trap one person for this check raise to be profitable.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM

:grunch:

There is never a point that this hand should have been abondoned - it should have been bet.

Raise pf.
Bet flop.

edit: c/r on flop is textbook
Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 PM

I'd send an e-mail to PokerStars support and tell them for whatever reason your bet button is broken.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:22 PM

JC forgives you for this hand
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 PM

GRUNCH

(What a hand! Reads are essential, even if it is "I just sat down")

Preflop, you should raise.

On the flop, with 12 outs, bet into the button. You're hoping that he'll raise and drive out some of the stragglers. Call his raise.

The turn 2d brings the possibility you're drawing dead. You have to take that into consideration in this situation, as you are caught inbetween two raisers. You still have 11 outs (can't really think of the Qc as an out any longer), so calling the first bet is good as you're getting nearly 9:1 pot odds.

I have to almost throw up my hands when the button raises and everybody calls, though. I mean, by the time it gets back to you, you're getting 16:1! You have to call.

On the river, the moron MP2 wakes up and decides to bet with what I can only assume is a lesser flush. This is really unfortunate, because it puts you inbetween the idiot and the button (who could also be an idiot with 2-pair).

So call the first bet hoping that the button will fold to the obvious flush. Of course he raises and MP2 three-bets, so you have to decide if you want a showdown for what will obviously be a capped pot. You stand to lose 3 bets to win 24.

I'd lose three more bets in this situation, even though I suspect that I'd be spewing.

But it's so important to realize that you stood a very good chance for a much cheaper showdown if you had only been more aggressive both preflop and on the flop.

Think, for instance, how much cheaper the showdown would have been had MP2 folded preflop (if you had raised and the button after you, he would have had a much tougher decision on whether or not to continue).
Old 03-08-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JC forgives you for this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

But nobody else does.