Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Ending a dispute

I've been having a disagreement with a fellow poker player about early sng play. Theoretically, if he was offered a 60/40 the first hand, he says he would decline the offer. The example I gave was if the poker gods came down from the sky and told him if he pushed AKo he would be guaranteed a call from the button with 98s and no one else. This boggled my mind that he said he'd do this and all my instincts tell me this has to be wrong. I'm hoping the experts here can end this dispute so we can put it to rest. If I'm wrong in thinking you should instantly accept the offer I'll shut up. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Ending a dispute

Folding here would be godawful.

Thank you, so I'm not insane?

Take any 60/40 early on, better busting out there then to the same call 30 mins later...save yourself some time.

Icould write out a long, well-thought out response here, but it comes down to this.

You're right. He's wrong. It's not close. Not in a SNG. Well, unless he has about a 40% ROI. Even then, no.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:31 AM

I find it odd that in every single one of these posts about "disputes" with friends, the poster is always the one that is very clearly the right one. Can't the friend ever get a break?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:32 AM

You would literally have to have x-ray vision in a live game or a hack in an online game to fold here. Namely you would have to have a big edge to not play this pot. Maybe someone with a 50% ROI would fold but certainly no mere mortal.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 AM

Just out of curiousity, what would be the most a SNG pro would lay down early on in a SNG? What would be the cut off? If the poker gods came down and said the other guy was holding AKo and blinds are 10-20, and everyone has 1500 chips, and he pushes all-in in the SB, would you call with JJ?? Just wondering.....
Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 AM

This is wrong, but you should decline if you're less than about a 55% favourite. The ICM requires you to be a 54.23% favourite to break even in this spot. Adding a little for skill, folding less than 55% favourites is reasonable. 60% however is taking it way too far.

If on the first hand the SB went allin, I had 22 and I could see with x-ray vision that he had AKo, I would certainly fold.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, what would be the most a SNG pro would lay down early on in a SNG? What would be the cut off? If the poker gods came down and said the other guy was holding AKo and blinds are 10-20, and everyone has 1500 chips, and he pushes all-in in the SB, would you call with JJ?? Just wondering.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Most pros would/should call with any edge that would be more than their ROI, except in certain extenuating circumstances, although most, myself included, would like a bit of buffer edge to smooth out the swings. I'd never turn down 20%, and would usually take 15% gladly.