Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Default How do you switch gears when you\'re losing (and losing table respect)?

So, you're playing your normal TAG game and nothing is working. Every time you steal-raise, the BB flops a pair. None of your draws are hitting and you've been looked up on a river bluff or two. Suddenly, you are getting the feel that noone is respecting your raises, and everyones sure they can beat you.

The question is, how do you adjust your play? Clearly you want to play fewer hands and play those hands aggressively (but you probably already play those hands aggresively). I'm guessing that you give up the pure bluff on the river. What other changes do you make? For example:

- Should you value bet more on marginal hands?

- Should you fold your blind steal situations?

- Should you play fewer drawing hands under the philosophy that they're likely to play aggressively against you?

- Should you quit this game if your opponents are of average quality?

- What other changes to you tell yourself to make?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: How do you switch gears when you\'re losing (and losing table respect)?

With so many tables to choose from... I'm not switching gears at a table that has my number for whatever reason, I'm switching tables.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: How do you switch gears when you\'re losing (and losing table respect)?

If this is online and the game I'm in is not spectacularly good, I've started switching tables in this situation. Within five minutes I can be playing in another equally good game and start with a clean slate, so that is an easier option than trying to compensate for your table image problems.

However, it is important to notice when you really are "losing table respect" and when that is just you projecting your frustration onto your opponents who haven't noticed or adjusted at all.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, you're playing your normal TAG game and nothing is working. Every time you steal-raise, the BB flops a pair. None of your draws are hitting and you've been looked up on a river bluff or two. Suddenly, you are getting the feel that noone is respecting your raises, and everyones sure they can beat you.

The question is, how do you adjust your play? Clearly you want to play fewer hands and play those hands aggressively (but you probably already play those hands aggresively). I'm guessing that you give up the pure bluff on the river. What other changes do you make? For example:

- Should you value bet more on marginal hands?

- Should you fold your blind steal situations?

- Should you play fewer drawing hands under the philosophy that they're likely to play aggressively against you?

- Should you quit this game if your opponents are of average quality?

- What other changes to you tell yourself to make?

[/ QUOTE ]
If your opponents call too much with weak hands, bluff less and value bet more.

As far as defending your BB, the same applies, except be wary of your bad position. You may just want to let him bet your hand for you if you think he's aggressive and you don't have a solid hand.

You shouldn't be afraid of aggressive post flop play if you are holding a small pocket pair, which is a drawing hand. OTOH, one gap suited connectors become much less playable.
The main thing that you hate is when you flop a gutshot against aggressive players. Otherwise, if your game selection is good, you should often be betting and raising for value on the flop with strong draws like open ended straight draws and flush draws.

If the preflop play is aggressive, throw away smaller suited connectors unless there are limpers in front of you. For example, you don't want to be open limping 89s in EMP when the dude on your left is going to isolate you.

You should always quit any game whenever you think its preventing you from playing a better game. With multitabling, the two choices are not always mutually exclusive though.

What other changes should you make? Focus. Stay calm.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is important to notice when you really are "losing table respect" and when that is just you projecting your frustration onto your opponents who haven't noticed or adjusted at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point. Getting down on yourself while playing is horrible and can make you play bad and hurt your reads.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is online and the game I'm in is not spectacularly good, I've started switching tables in this situation. Within five minutes I can be playing in another equally good game and start with a clean slate, so that is an easier option than trying to compensate for your table image problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent points, and one that it's hard to tell which is the case. However, I am a B&M player, so leaving the game usually means quitting for the day or dropping down in limits. Also, I think at a B&M table, it's more obvious who's been raking the pots and who's been getting beat.