Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 AM

Default A9o blind defense river decision

Villain is sLAG, opening a lot of pots, especially in steal positions. Since this one was from the hijack, I decided to play it cautiously on the flop and turn, intending to get to showdown cheaply.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (3.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>...

3-bet or call? My thinking is he can't have AK or he'd obviously bet the turn. I think he'd also bet AT unless he has some image of me that says I probably have a K. So he's more likely to have a hand like AQ/AJ or he could also have flopped a monster like QJ/KK and is trying to induce action... I want to 3-bet, but will I not have to fold to a cap?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 AM

Default Re: A9o blind defense river decision

[ QUOTE ]
I want to 3-bet, but will I not have to fold to a cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hesitate to make this play. My feeling is that some people, facing a river 3-bet, think, "Whatever. I'm capping. You can't 5-bet me."
Old 03-07-2006, 01:51 AM

No betting out on the flop here? I would 3 bet the river
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 AM

Obviously, it could just be an ace, but I think I'm too worried about AT and a turn slowplay to 3-bet here. I don't want to face a cap.

QJ is 16 combos.
AT is 6 more.
KK is 3.

AQ and AJ, both of which really do seem quite possible, are 8 combos apiece.

This doesn't exhaust the possibilities, of course, but it's possible you're not even a favorite anymore once Villain raises the river.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 AM

I'd just call here. The check behind/raise line is usually either a monster or a bluff, so I dont see a whole lot of value in a 3bet. He would proabaly call a 3bet with any piece of the board since no one ever folds in these spots but I'm still just calling.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 AM

Do you normally just call from the bb here? I typically either 3bet or fold it.

I just call the river. There is just too much going on, on that board.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:38 AM

I think the river is perfect for checkraising. I'd just call here fearing QJ. I also only call because I'm not able to 3-bet and fold to a cap.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river is perfect for checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river is perfect for checkraising. I'd just call here fearing QJ. I also only call because I'm not able to 3-bet and fold to a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
QJ flopped a straight so we don't need to worry about this hand as much. His hand looks so much like AQ/AJ/Ax so I think there is value in 3-betting this river even though having to call a cap sucks (which we need to do).
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 AM

I think need to 3-bet this river too. Him playing any made hand w/ a turn check is a disaster on his part. Your hand range and the way you've played this hand thus far makes it far too likely that you have some sort of gutshot type hand, and the check on the turn makes me increase the likelyhood of him having some sort of gut shot type hand that he could want to take a free card with. I think he has one of these type of hands enough (AQ, AJ-- hell, maybe he's doing it w/ KQ for some reason) that he will still raise the A river with that we're ahead of to raise the river. But yes, getting capped is teh lame.