Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Check raise good here or costly

Another 45 man $12 on Stars. CO had been very loose agressive, raising UTG with KQ and betting small all streets without hitting any part of the flop and running about 68/12 over 20 or so hands. BB seemed solid but had been playing a lot of suited cards cheap and I had to put him on a FD with knowing he had shown down a couple of small flushes but had just lost a big pot when CO had called his 4x raise with 10 7 and flopped 2 pair against his KK. I did not want to give him odds to chase the flush but I really thought CO would call my raise. Whats your play here and is the check raise for value with bottom set bad here?

Poker Stars, $12 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: 280
UTG+1: 1,520
UTG+2: 1,860
MP1: 1,440
MP2: 1,400
CO: 2,365
BTN: 1,885
Hero (SB): 1,370
BB: 1,380

Pre-Flop: (45) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
2 folds, UTG+2 calls 30, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 30, CO calls 30, BTN calls 30, Hero calls 15, BB checks

Flop: (180) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets 120</font>, 2 folds, CO calls 120, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 380</font>, 2 folds

Results: 540 Pot (540 Rake)
Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Check raise good here or costly

this looks good imo.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM

With a coordinated drawy flop like this, some limpers (who are perhaps more likely to have caught a piece / have a draw), and a loose bigstack guy who's likely to call down bets with a piece of the flop, isn't this a good situation to lead out at the pot or so with a decent but not huge bet?

Either you'll get folds - which means you weren't going to make $ here anyways - or you'll get calls in a spot you're currently ahead in - or you'll intice a push by someone with a flush draw, letting you get it in with likely the best of it...

I like doing the same on an A high board, knowing some guy could go to the end with a weak ace, or better yet 2 pair...

Is this logic wrong?

editted: I lead out 2/3 pot.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM

I would have led the flop and hopefully had draws raise, but my main reason was that I'd be worried that no one would bet. Since they did, this is fine, I'd raise a little more on the c/r, but not a lot more, say 450 or so. All in all it looks good.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

I'd definitely lead this flop for 150 - 180.

As played, I think your raise is fine. I could go a bit bigger as dunkman says because a lot of these players will call with a big draw regardless of how big you raise. Plus, it allows you to push a safe turn and they'd still think they were getting near-ok odds to draw.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM

im leading out here olmost everytime i have no reason to check raise this multi pot
i would only check raise if i was up against the loose aggressive guy
Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im leading out here almost everytime i have no reason to check raise this multi pot
i would only check raise if i was up against the loose aggressive guy

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed, except I think that the only time I am CRing here is if I put one of my opponents on an overpair. A check raise chases people out of the pot whereas leading will get calls from junk like 2nd pair or even 2 overs. Lead out about half pot or more depending on how loose table is.