Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Default NL50 - KQ vs donk

I am completely lost on this one. Villain (59/15/1.4) was a spewy calling station. I also have seen him bet turn and river with pocket fours on KQ789 board. I raised flop to find out as cheaply as possible if I am good or perhaps dominated. I am not sure if this is the way to go though.

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $53.22
Hero (BTN): $50.92
SB: $24.69
BB: $62

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="red">BB raises to $3.50</font>, Hero calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50

Flop: ($10.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11</font>, SB folds, BB calls $7

Turn: ($32.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $14.50</font>, Hero folds
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: NL50 - KQ vs donk

This might be a bit weak but I think I am folding here too. I am not very happy about it though.

Villains bets look a little like attempts to keep the street cheap; like she might be drawing to a straight or something. Having said that there are a lot of hands that are beating us.

I generally love value-betting top pair against players with stats like this. But, given that she's bet into us on 2 streets I think I'm folding; trying to get a read on what hands villain makes these bets with, and waiting for a better place to get my money in against this player.

i.e. When player bet on scary board with 44 was it a similar bet size?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i.e. When player bet on scary board with 44 was it a similar bet size?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a small bet of about half pot but in that case it was limped preflop and checked on the flop so nobody showed any strength. On the other hand the 44 hand was 4-way too. I later found out this player plays very badly - a TV type game - he bluffed every pot etc. I wonder if that changes the way we should play this hand. I guess we still have to wait for a better spot.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 AM

Calling the flop with the intention of calling down unless Villain bets big at some point seems like an option. Of course, it's a terrible line if Villain will bluff big on the river out of frustration at your calls, but in my recent experience, lots of times donkish players will just continue to make ~1/3 pot bets as if they're putting pressure on you. And they tend to do this with and without the goods, so you won't really know where you stand until showdown. But that smallish flop bet does suggest you have a good chance of getting to that showdown.

Anyway, if I knew at the time, like you do now, that Villain was a very bluffy player, I think I would take a passive line. Against players who like to bet but tend to bet smallish, sometimes letting them control the pot for you is the way to go.