Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Default 50NL AQ flopped top pair, what would you guys have done differently?

I don't have any reads on the UTG other than that he seemed pretty tight from the previous hands I've seen him involved in, and SB seemed to be a pretty loose caller from earlier hands. I was thinking that I should have re-raised pre-flop, but I want to know how you guys would've played this hand. Thanks for the help.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (5 handed) Ultimate Bet Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($21.65)
MP ($29.75)
Button ($83.35)
SB ($21.30)
Hero ($39.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.8</font>, SB calls $0.80, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG calls $3.20, SB calls $3.20.

Turn: ($15.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $34.25 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $16.40 (All-In), SB folds.

River: ($48.55) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $48.55
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: 50NL AQ flopped top pair, what would you guys have done differentl

3 bet pf, I like the flop raise, check the turn for pot control, re evaluate river.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM

I'd 3-bet pf but as played I'd raise the flop a bit more (psr is 6.15 so at least 5.5 as it's 3-way). Definitely do NOT check the turn for "pot control", the board is too drawy - either the money goes in now or we're out. What's bad is that you got 2 callers on the flop which is a little scary so it's push or check/fold on the turn now. Versus shortstacks I'm not good enough to fold this so I push.

P.S. Rebuy pf.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Looking back I should have been more cautious when I got two callers on the flop. But their stack sizes did affect my decision.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 PM

I also check the turn here, we are either WA/WB. I like the 3 bet preflop please reload PF
Old 11-08-2007, 06:35 PM

hmmm ... I do not think potcontrol checks are the nutz on sick wet boards.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM

3bet preflop (and fold to a 4bet) we likely have the best hand and will be in position after the flop drops.

raise the flop more ~$6 is better I think.

check the turn - that 8 just made JT the nut straight so it's not a good card. Control the pot and look to VB for ~1/2 pot or so on a non T river - check behind if the T comes or probably fold depending on reads if a villain bets the T river
Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet preflop (and fold to a 4bet) we likely have the best hand and will be in position after the flop drops.

raise the flop more ~$6 is better I think.

check the turn - that 8 just made JT the nut straight so it's not a good card. Control the pot and look to VB for ~1/2 pot or so on a non T river - check behind if the T comes or probably fold depending on reads if a villain bets the T river

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree .. the 8 is a fine fine card as it 'only' completes if villian was drawing to a gutshot.

There is also a FD, so basically if you check behind, you are scared of T's, J's and any diamond.

Tbh .. I like the push.

But anyways, I'm not potcontroling here evar.

(I agree on the flop raise behing slightly small tho, especially since if you raise larger, a push on the turn becomes closer to a potsized bet instead of this overbet)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM

So you do what, pot control on a much more dry board? I just dont like stacking off here with one pair on such a drawy board. But I also dont like stacking off with one pair almost ever unless villain is loose or aggressive enough to justify it.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 PM

If you have no other reads on UTG other than he is tight, I'm not sure about 3betting preflop. Presumably his opening range UTG is pretty tight, and AQ plays pretty badly against his 3bet calling range.
Also, I'd like to know how he responds to 3bets before repopping him here (is he playing fit or fold - is he likely to float etc) Plus, we will be OOP for the rest of the hand. I'd rather have 76s than AQ to 3bet here against an unknown.

I'm not checking turn with two flop callers and flush and straight draws out there, so as others have said I'm getting it in on turn.