Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Over pair on flush draw board 10NL

There seemed to be no fold equity at this table thus the call instead of raise (seems like everytime i raise here i am out of position against several callers).

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $6
MP: $9.93
CO: $12.26
BTN: $14.42
Hero (SB): $6.09
BB: $8.77

UTG posts $0.05
Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG checks, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.03, BB checks

Flop: ($0.15) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.10</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $0.35</font>, UTG calls $0.35, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.30</font>, BB calls $0.95, UTG folds

Turn: ($3.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>, BB calls $1.50

River: ($6.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, BB calls $1

Results: $8.10 Pot ($0.35 Rake)
Hero showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Nines and Sixes) and LOST (-$3.85 NET)
BB showed K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Sixes) and WON $7.75 (+$3.90 NET)

The raise on the flop could be a draw or an 8, so i repopped him. He calls uh-oh. Bet again on the turn hoping for value against flush and 8? Same on river folding to a raise.

I am normally raising the pair preflop but jesus i hate being in bad position with overcards on the board.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Over pair on flush draw board 10NL

I think this hand influenced my preflop play.

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $5.80
Hero (SB): $4.95
BB: $6.39
UTG: $7.50
MP: $3.88
CO: $6.10

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG calls $0.05, MP calls $0.05, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.30</font>, BB calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.20) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $1, MP folds

Turn: ($3.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero folds

Results: $3.20 Pot ($0.15 Rake)
UTG mucked and WON $3.05 (+$1.75 NET)
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Over pair on flush draw board 10NL

1) I don't think you're meant to post results? It spoils the analysis.

On to the hand:

I still don't like the limp pre-flop. With one limper, and a decent PP here I'd still like to raise this. Limping seems really weak. If they call a lot, well a lot of the time it's going to be with worse hands, and you'll be ahead. I can see your point on playing raised pots OOP being bad, it's not something I like doing, but I think your hand is strong enough for a raise here.

Because you limped here it makes the flop difficult. The bet seems fine with the overpair but then the limping pf leads to difficult decisions when they raise. Since UTG and BB checked in, they could have a huge range of hands. You're beaten by any PP TT or higher(though perhaps we can rule out the premium ones since no raise PF? Or have you seen them limping those a lot?) Also 66, 88 obviously. Also there's A6s/o, again plausible. You're also behind a lot of suited connectors: 56, 67, 68 etc. Equally there's a wide range of unsuited connectors and trash that got to see the flop for free, again due to the limp, that would put them on trip 6's. This would make me really uncomfortable calling the raise, and if they've hit the flop at this level they probably aren't going to fold to your 3-bet. So the pre-flop limp leads to a nasty decision to make on the flop. I'd probably be inclined to fold here, though I can say it's easier saying that from here than doing it in practice sat there with an overpair! It does just feel that there's such a wide range of trash/sc's/Ax that could have hit a set here and getting raised by players you describe as calling stations seems to indicate that you're in trouble.

The next thing is, again you say these players keep calling..so why the second barrel when they've clearly hit the flop and quite conceivably have a set? I'd be tempted to ask the same question on the river.

So in summary I think the limp pre-flop led to a tough decision post-flop, where I believe you should have folded based on the above. So 1) Should have raised pre-flop, 2) When you didn't should have folded, though it would be a hard laydown to make.

Sorry if this has been really long I just wanted to work through it thoroughly and try and be helpful!