Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Default 400NLHUCASH deep stacks flush on a paired board

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($780.50)
Hero ($755.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $40</font>, Hero calls $28.

Flop: ($80) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $60</font>, Hero calls $60.

Turn: ($200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $180</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $655.5</font>,

You think this is played badly? I should first tell my reason to call preflop, because it is unusual call.

1. Position.
2. I read him good.
3. The stacks are deep, so great implied odds.
4. He is losing a lot of money to me on the other table so he will probably overplay his hand when he gets it. On the other hand, it is a fact that people tighten up when they are up, but I am sure that the first factor is bigger than the second one about that guy.

I pushed all in because I figured he is just as likely to call a big rase than a small raise. I bluffed him before. But even with my LAG image and his steaming - do you think this is just a spew?

And with that deepstacks, I also ask if I should fold the flop, because the danger of drawing dead can be fatal when playing with 200BB's.

He is paying me off with lower flushes and he might even go crazy and call me with a lone jack (and of course fullhouses which beat me). He is not going crazy with a lone ten.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: 400NLHUCASH deep stacks flush on a paired board

Judging by your LC thread post I guess you lost to a boat. I play it the same though.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judging by your LC thread post I guess you lost to a boat. I play it the same though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you are gonna pick up on that.

Glad you are not results oriented.

River is an easy all-in. Why no flop raise? Turn , you expect him to crai too often to bet?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River is an easy all-in. Why no flop raise? Turn , you expect him to crai too often to bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

He called me light when I checkraised him before (I think he had ace high), plus I was checkraising him a lot so I decided to just call him, trying to make a hand. You are right about turn. I generally prefer to check if I have a flush draw with deepstacks (if my bet would be all in I would probably bet it). It was metagame consideration - I am sure I made the right decision on all streets, I am only worried about river.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Pre-flop is the most interesting decision . Certainly if it's offsuit then it's a clear fold . A question of interest is to determine the extra value in being suited . Against a player who make larger flop bets , this value is marginal at best and maybe nullified completely . I don't value suited hands heads up as much as most people do so maybe I would have folded this hand pre-flop .
Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop is the most interesting decision . Certainly if it's offsuit then it's a clear fold . A question of interest is to determine the extra value in being suited . Against a player who make larger flop bets , this value is marginal at best and maybe nullified completely . I don't value suited hands heads up as much as most people do so maybe I would have folded this hand pre-flop .

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on villain. He didn't make large bets, he checked a lot of turns, everything was alright. I wouldn't do it against an unknown because I am only playing for a big pot if a flush comes or I make two pair or trips or something really big. If I hit just an ace, I know how to get away from it. I am confident enough in my postflop play against this particular guy that I can afford to make that call. Offsuit is a clear fold.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM

One mistake I make when deciding whether a push is good in tight spots like this is that I fail to distinguish villain's light call on one board as compared to the board in question. I'm not sure what the metagame considerations are, but how many combinations of hands call you here that you have beat compared to the combinations of hands that call which you beat? Of course, how many hands fold (probably none given the action)? And how close were you to making a call here?

Barry
Old 11-02-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One mistake I make when deciding whether a push is good in tight spots like this is that I fail to distinguish villain's light call on one board as compared to the board in question. I'm not sure what the metagame considerations are, but how many combinations of hands call you here that you have beat compared to the combinations of hands that call which you beat? Of course, how many hands fold (probably none given the action)? And how close were you to making a call here?

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

If no hands fold given the action we can never not move in since most of his betting hands on the river is straights and flushes IMO