Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Default 10/25 NL live easy call with A-high?

Foxwoods 10/25, 10-handed.

Villain is kind of weak and passive. He will stab at small pots occasionally but I haven't seen him do any big elaborate bluffs.

Effective stacks 5000.

I am in the cutoff with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Preflop
Two limpers and I raise to 150. Villain calls from the SB and both limpers call.

Flop (625): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked around.

Turn (625): 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked around.

River (625): 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain bets 350, folded around to me. There are a few hands I can beat here and I'm getting a good price. And there aren't too many hands that he would be value betting here after the flop and turn action. On the other hand, do people ever bet that small in this spot when they are bluffing? I guess it could be a blocking bet with a low pair, but I don't think he would think to do that.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: 10/25 NL live easy call with A-high?

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few hands I can beat here and I'm getting a good price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM

i've never played that high live, but in my experience people have no idea how to bet in relation to the pot, so it's hard to interpret that. 67,88,QJ,J7 all just got there, as well as some persistent trap that didn't get any takers. might also be going for thin value with 8x or just convinced himself that his weak T is probably good.

i dunno, it's close but i would lean towards folding. people don't bluff in 4way pots with air that much, at least online.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are a few hands I can beat here and I'm getting a good price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one.

[/ QUOTE ]

KQ, KJ, AJ
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've never played that high live, but in my experience people have no idea how to bet in relation to the pot, so it's hard to interpret that. 67,88,QJ,J7 all just got there, as well as some persistent trap that didn't get any takers. might also be going for thin value with 8x or just convinced himself that his weak T is probably good.

i dunno, it's close but i would lean towards folding. people don't bluff in 4way pots with air that much, at least online.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a decent chance he would have bet the flop or turn with QJ or 88, and I don't think he would have called preflop with J7.

How about this for his range after the river bet: 99, TT, 9T, 45, 56, 67, 78, KQ, KJ, AJ.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:28 AM

I'll give my thoughts for real now...

Firstly...

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is kind of weak and passive. He will stab at small pots occasionally but I haven't seen him do any big elaborate bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

QED.

Second, are you trying to tell me you were trapping with your AQ here? I thought your flop check = given up which was smart on that flop.

Third, KJ/KQ/AJ...are you serious how on earth do you put him on that as opposed to 43s? You have so little information due to the checking on the flop and turn you really can't rule any hand out at all.

Fourthly, he is leading from the small blind into three people so it's less likely that he's bluffing.

My guess is he has 55 or 88 and turned or rivered a boat. JQ is also possible.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM

If you give him that range you should fold shouldn't you...maybe raise but you can't call since you're still losing to most of it...

Also I don't think QJ necessarily bets out flop or turn because the board is paired and 2-flushed so his straight draw isn't particularly exciting.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give him that range you should fold shouldn't you...maybe raise but you can't call since you're still losing to most of it...

Also I don't think QJ necessarily bets out flop or turn because the board is paired and 2-flushed so his straight draw isn't particularly exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with that range it is a call, but it is pretty close. Yeah, this hand all comes down to whether you put certain hands in his range or not.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 AM

but dude how the hell do you have AJ/KQ/KJ in that range??? there is no logic or reason they are in his range. Why if you include that not include 27o, 23, 24, 26, A2, A3, etc so it's a clear call!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give my thoughts for real now...

Firstly...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QED.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one does qualify as stabbing at a small pot.