Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Default WSOP Mega Super Sat - QQ

$1000 WSOP Super Sat pays 14 spots to the main event.

300/600/75 9 handed. Avg stack is ~T7500, hero has T12500, villain is CL has ~T20000.

Table is very aggressive, three players are wearing circuit rings. Hero has shown down opening a2s from the CO and pushed bottom pair. I've been active and lucky having TT hold up twice against short stacks. Hero has not held AK,AA-JJ yet.

Villain is loose, and more important Noly on the BB is very loose agressive.

Folded to hero in the CO with QQ. I open for T2000 (standard). Button folds, Villain thinks for a long time and call in the SB. Noly thinks for a long time and folds on the BB.

(T5425)T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets T2500, villain pushes, hero instacalls.

A great flop for me, I'm sure my hand is good. When I bet T2500, I was hoping that I could provoke him to push, is this wrong? I also thought that if I pushed he would fold.

What would you bet and why? How is your behaviour affected if this was a tournament with a normal payout structure? Keep in mind ~T30,000 chips is going to win a seat.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: WSOP Mega Super Sat - QQ

How many players left?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:57 PM

5 tables (~45)
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 PM

Ok so we're far away enough that we need to still gain quite a few chips. I see no other way to play this, and given your read of the villain I would very often make a small-bluff inducing bet as well. The call seems like a no brainer as well, so all in all everything looks fine to me. Sorry if his middle pair won.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Everything looks good, including the betsize.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 AM

What do you mean by saying 30k chips wins a seat? In my book, you need ONE chip with 14 players left. How many chips you have is meaningless. Trying to accumulate 30k is suicidal. Survival is the name of the game, and you generally don't survive by making calls for all your chips, or by making moves to purposely induce pushes when you don't hold the nuts.

This is just a really bad spot and I'm not sure how I would play it. It would have been VERY read dependent. Has he seen me making c/b and then folding to a reraise? Has he been pushing people off pots post-flop with pushes? What did his pre-flop hesitation mean? Does he think you are weak? Has he seen you call down with less than the nuts, or lay down really strong hands? This spot is entirely dependent on your read of him and your table image.

I could see myself laying this down based on read and a desire to survive given my decent stack size.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:59 AM

The majority of what I've been showing down with late raises have been weak aces. But I've been raising enough to include weak pairs.

There is not alot of post flop play when the antes are this big, and the stacks are this short. He has made alot of late position calls with speculative holdings.

My sense at the time was that KK-AA was out of the question. I asked several pros after the hand, and got varying responses. I am very interested in answers to the subordinate questions.

The mean stack at the final table will have 30K, due to the large stacks having alot more.

Do you trap for more chips or push to get max FE?

I'm not laying down QQ here, ever.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM

I understand what you mean about the mean stack. I believe it is a tactical error to take it into consideration here. You do not need the mean stack, you need one chip. Putting all your chips in jeopardy because in the back of the mind you are thinking about getting to 30k chips is a bad way to approach this situation (IMveryHO - I played in one and did not win a seat so there you go).

So your main question is whether to trap or push. Given how much I hate going bust on a call in a tournament, and how much effort I put into limiting my chances to going bust on someone else calling me, I probably vote push. Make him decide whether you are trying to push him off a hand or not. There are already PLENTY of chips in the pot to make this a very profitable hand.

In a normal structured tournament I would probably vote for trap, but again this is very dependent on my own personal reads and image at the time.

It was good meeting you this week, Joe.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM

By the way, push and fold, then turn up your QQ is a nice way to play this to set up a table image that will narrow everyone's ranges on your future pushes.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:36 AM

like ansky/osu said, everything is perfect.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, push and fold, then turn up your QQ is a nice way to play this to set up a table image that will narrow everyone's ranges on your future pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? push and fold?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not laying down QQ here, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you played it perfect