Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Semi bluff question

Ok in the past I would have played wait and see what happens but I have been trying to mix some agressive semi-bluffs into my play. I got called on flop.

My question is now that I got called on flop I should assume my hand is no good and try and now make my draw as cheap as possible if I miss on turn? If he calls flop I should assume he will call down and maybe set my price for the draw or check?

Also welcome comments on what you think of the hand, if you pull the same play here, or whatever. I was thinking I would have been caught like a deer in the headlights if I whiffed turn as this is not a situation I have been in a lot being OOP. Most of the time my semi-bluffs are in position. How big a factor is postion for you when you make these plays?

Lots of questions but like I said this situation is somewhat different for me.

10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="cc3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $1, 2 folds, MP3 calls $1, 2 folds, SB calls $0.75, BB folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.25, 4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="cc3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, MP3 calls $4.5, 2 folds.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Semi bluff question

check-fold flop.

Drawing OOP sucks
Drawing to a straight on a two tone board sucks
Drawing to a straight that will never get paid off well when it hits sucks
Old 03-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Be wary of a heart on the turn. If you make your straight, bet it as you would bet AT. If you miss your straight on the turn, you could bet so as to price yourself in for a river draw (ie lead for $4). Or you could check and see if Villain will price you in.

IMO, this is very player dependent, but I am probably checking the turn and seeing if villain will price me in.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Ok thanks, I was pretty sure most people dont keep up the charade after getting called and that check or name your price would be the play here on the turn.

Turn came I made my strait with the J. I bet pot. This was probably a mistake as you guys pointed out. I was not thinking about anything other than "I bet pot on flop I am gonna keep it on turn now that I made my hand". What do you guys think would be a better bet? The pot was a little over 12 bucks should I go for an 8 buck bet instead of full pot?

At this point with the flat call and the pfr I put the guy on an overpair who wanted to see the turn card before deciding if he wanted to put all his chips in like a KK. That bet probably did not encourage him to do so.

As it happened I got paid off by one of the few hands that I could beat that would pay me, QQ as the turn card gave him an open ender to go with the overpair. If he had KK I probably lose him with that bet.