Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Theory: Double-Barrelling the NFD

Let's say you raise 4BBs in LP w/ A-xs, you've got a full stack and have a tough aggro image. You get one caller w/ a full stack as well.

You flop:
1) bare NFD w/ J-7-3
2) MP and NFD w/ J-7-5
3) bare NFD w/ 8-6-5

Are you Cbetting all 3 scenarios?

How much?

How often do you double barrel on the turn vs taking a free card?

How does the presence of more than one pf caller affect your decision to double barrel on the turn? i.e. you get it to HU on turn after your Cbet?

If the villain is short stacked, do we semi-bluff less often?

Discuss...
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Theory: Double-Barrelling the NFD

So the caller is behind you?

I'm betting the flop with all 3. Probably 6 or 7 BB.

It would depend on what I thought of the particular villain on the turn. I'm probably firing twice a fair amount. Check/folding to a big bet sometimes depending on the stack sizes, number of people in the pot, etc. For example if you get 2 callers, the money probably isn't there to call a bet. Check/raise shoving sometimes, particularly in case 2. If I have 2 overs and the NFD or a pair and the NFD, I'm check raising the turn quite a bit. This is particularly true if the player behind me is sticky at all. Against most top pair hands you have 30 or 40% equity in an already big pot. The villains not going to be too wild about getting his whole stack in on a bad jack.

With short stacks, a lot of the time I'll just put them all in on the flop. This is always true if I have a pair. Mostly true if I have some sort of combo draw like an overcard, a gutshot and NFD. Why fool around. If they have a hand and want to play, you usually aren't getting away from it. See if they want to play.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM

Sry, I meant for the Hero to be in position, but good overview of the OOP dynamics.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

I hate checking behind flush draws on the turn, b/c it's just begging for villian to fire into you on the river.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:00 AM

I'm still firing on every flop.

I'm firing on a lot of turns, too. What is he calling with on the flop that he didn't raise with? Usually a 1 pair hand or some kind of draw. You may have him drawing to his pair cards, and at the very least your taking some of his straight outs. If he has a 1 pair hand, is he going to want to call a pot sized bet? Even more so, if you're pot sized bet gives him no leverage to raise he can only play his very strong hands which you will have outs against. You will get trapped once in a while, but it is way more likely that the villain called badly as opposed to slow playing something. Most people, at the levels we play, won't smooth call on the flop with a set if there is a FD of any sort. When he doesn't raise the flop, your turn bet is going to win a lot. It is also going to win a fair number of hands when he calls the turn, you don't improve and it does check/check. You'd be amazed how many times they turn up something like QTs or 68s where the check/called check/called fishing for their draw. Don't be that guy.