Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Non-Religious Life After Death

If we assume there is no God and relative after-life, how confident are you guys that there's some 'other' afterlife / re-incarnation?

I haven't studied it at all, but after talking to friends I've a few ideas:

1. Atoms

Our atoms are still around, whizzing off around the universe, maybe we continue with a completely different consciousness.

2. Infinity

Will the universe go on for an infinite amount of time? If so then over infinite time almost anythings possible right? (e.g monkeys writing shakespare with a typewriter) therefor eventually one day *wham* you may come back, as yourself or a different entity. Interestingly it may be almost instant if we do not experience the time in transition.

3. Simulation

There has to be some chance (no matter how remote) that we are in a simulation. What if we perfect ai and simulate the creation and evolution of a universe / life. A simulation of our own world.... Then that creates a simulation and so on. So it would be incredibly flukey to be someone in the very first 'real life'. Therefor we could come across any kind of afterlife. Or maybe just a BEEP 'System is out of memory. System is shutting down'?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Non - Religious Life After Death

[ QUOTE ]
If we assume there is no God and relative after-life, how confident are you guys that there's some 'other' afterlife / re-incarnation?

1. Atoms

Our atoms are still around, whizzing off around the universe, maybe we continue with a completely different consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

If "you" continue with a completely different consciousness, how can "you" be said to continue?
[ QUOTE ]
2. Infinity

Will the universe go on for an infinite amount of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Maybe.

It depends.

[ QUOTE ]

If so then over infinite time almost anythings possible right? (e.g monkeys writing shakespare with a typewriter) therefor eventually one day *wham* you may come back, as yourself or a different entity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would everything be possible?

[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly it may be almost instant if we do not experience the time in transition.

3. Simulation

There has to be some chance (no matter how remote) that we are in a simulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

One wonders why anyone would bother.

[ QUOTE ]
What if we perfect ai and simulate the creation and evolution of a universe / life. A simulation of our own world.... Then that creates a simulation and so on. So it would be incredibly flukey to be someone in the very first 'real life'.

Therefor we could come across any kind of afterlife. Or maybe just a BEEP 'System is out of memory. System is shutting down'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone bother recreating you?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Non-Religious Life After Death

[ QUOTE ]
1. Atoms

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with atoms,not with materialism.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Infinity

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with infinity,a vague generalization without reality
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Obviously 'you' wont be 'you' in any afterlife. Please don't pick at my badly picked terminologies...

I'm wondering if you guys agree there's *some* kind of possibility to these theories and also interested in other similar thoughts and ideas.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously 'you' wont be 'you' in any afterlife. Please don't pick at my badly picked terminologies...

I'm wondering if you guys agree there's *some* kind of possibility to these theories and also interested in other similar thoughts and ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you will be, You are not your material body. for this you have to consider the soul/spiritual nature of man.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Atoms

2. Infinity

Will the universe go on for an infinite amount of time? If so then over infinite time almost anythings possible right? (e.g monkeys writing shakespare with a typewriter) therefor eventually one day *wham* you may come back, as yourself or a different entity. Interestingly it may be almost instant if we do not experience the time in transition.

3. Simulation

There has to be some chance (no matter how remote) that we are in a simulation. What if we perfect ai and simulate the creation and evolution of a universe / life. A simulation of our own world.... Then that creates a simulation and so on. So it would be incredibly flukey to be someone in the very first 'real life'. Therefor we could come across any kind of afterlife. Or maybe just a BEEP 'System is out of memory. System is shutting down'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reincarnation is thusly a metaphor.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM

I think all of these ideas deserve to be thought about. I'm also a big proponent of thinking covariantly -- your existence may be bounded in time as well as bounded in space, but evolution in time doesn't mean that you cease to exist. The past is as real as the present and the future (just as the universe to the left of you is every bit as real as the part of the universe that makes up "you") -- they're all part of the covariant state of the universe, which manifestly "exists" (all of it, including all times, though you don't have access to all regions of it simultaneously).
Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 PM

1. Think back to a happy childhood memory. You remember it well, you were there. Well.... actually you weren't there. None of the atoms in you currently were there. You leak hundreds of billions (or way more, not entirely sure) every day. You eat food and get more of them. Your body is much like a wave in the ocean in this respect, to give you a better picture of the idea. Drink a glass of water. One of the molecules of water probably passed through Newton's bladder, statistically speaking. Defining atoms that make you "you" and thinking of them as "you," or your property in some way, is completely absurd.

2. There is no reason to think that the universe will go on for infinity.

3. If it were a simulation, the odds of them changing it before or around the time of your deletion is very small. Also, any fully accurate simulation of the universe must be at the very least as big as the universe. You would undoubtedly take short cuts, but still it is a very large effort.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:12 AM

4. Ability in the future to upload conciousness into technology

Is probably worthy of discussion. Others are fairly pointless since they don't imply a memory of the previous life. If we show that an infant contained some carbon used in a previous person, noone would care to call it reincarnation.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Ability in the future to upload conciousness into technology

Is probably worthy of discussion. Others are fairly pointless since they don't imply a memory of the previous life. If we show that an infant contained some carbon used in a previous person, noone would care to call it reincarnation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now here is one that raises a few interesting questions. If you copy your consciousness, is it you? I mean, we are ourselves, not a copy, so in essence we'd die and some electronic blueprint would live in with its sense of self.

Sort of like if you made a perfect carbon copy of yourself, you would not be it, you could not feel what it felt and you can't go past your own death just because the CC lives on.

And when you think about this stuff I get this sensation that the more I think the more mad I slowly get, because in some weird messed up way it doesn't make any sense to be 'someone'.