Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Another LAG mess up?

Villain is 33.3/27.1/2.5

And probably a winner at these stakes. I think I may be getting too passive and predictable in some spots. Should I CR the flop? River line? Sorry if this is standard. Being used to FR mainly I have some trouble with these guys.

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Another LAG mess up?

You need to raise somewhere in this. I am thinking raise/call the flop, c/c the turn and possibly c/f the river if he continues to bet.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 AM

Well, once the K falls, your equity falls substantially. Most of the hands in his range that you beat are ace highs that probably aren't calling, and small pairs that are probably going to fold the river if you bet. I think you should probably check call the river here. Since you've underrepresented your hand, you might even get a worse hand like 99 or TT to make a thin valuebet.

But you should really be checkraising either the flop or the turn and calling down any further aggression. On both the flop and turn, your equity is too high to not put in any more action against most players. Your line could be good against someone who is very loose and aggressive who you can count on to bluff the river.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM

Put your opponent on a 3-betting range from BTN when you have opened from MP. I think about 10% often is reasonable for a player with those stats. Against that range you have 60% equity on the flop and 65% on the turn so you really want to c/r on any of those streets. With that particular rivercard you should fold when he raises river if you don't think he bluffraises reasonably often. What hands that he 3-bet preflop that you beat would he raise river with if he's not bluffing? The answer is zero and when you call his riverraise you are hoping for a bluff or an unlikely tied pot.

If you had c/r flop or river and villain had 3-bet you have to think what hands he would 3-bet flop or turn with and then bet again on turn or river. Would he bet river with a worse hand yours? There are no draws so if he 3-bet a c/r from you he is either bluffing or has a strong hand. If you had c/r:ed turn and villain 3-bet and bet again on river you are again hoping for a bluff or a tie.

So I think you should have c/r:ed flop or turn, but fold if villain reraises you and bets again on the next street. As played on flop and turn you shouldn't bet river since your equity is 37% at best and if he bets I think a call on river is about breakeven. In -+0 situations i always call on river since I don't want villains to think that I'm easy to bluff on the river.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM

I wouldn't bet the river if I couldn't fold. I agree with Gurravasa that you should be check raising somewhere. I would probably do it on the dry flop, because I would also do this with air sometimes on a flop like this. The river is a check call as played though. He's probably going to value bet/bluff all of his range here, which includes hands like 99, TT and AQo. Whether or not you can call down if he 3-bets your check-raise would have a lot to do with your history and I would probably get to the river most of the time against a guy like this to see if he will 3-barrel.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 AM

posting blind...
I normally c/r flop and go from there... call down to flop 3bet

river: def don't like b/c. I just check call after getting to the river passively.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 AM

I'd get a raise in either on the flop or turn. Normally I'll do it on the flop but if he's really aggro and 3-betting you frequently preflop I'll let him hang himself and pop it on the turn instead. I think your riverplay is really bad. Once the K hits it's time to c/c.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM

also, overaggro monkies like this are 3betting their buttons with a huge range... you are way ahead of his range on this flop.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a hand like TT or 99 b3b this flop, bet turn, and check behind river.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM

I would check-raise the flop here. I prefer it to check-raising the turn because we can't guarantee that villain will bet the turn plus we don't know if we have the best hand or not.

Worst thing that can happen (when c/r flop) is that we get called and then raised on the turn. In this case we sometimes have the best hand as LAGs will spew with AQ/AK in this spot often enough to call down.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:04 AM

I messed up bad obviously. River I kind of knew wasn't that great [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. CR flop it is. Tnx guys.