Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 08:16 AM

Default +EV play capping preflop with 62o?????

10-20 B&M game, very loose, very passive.

A horrible player is UTG, he is stacking his chips in order to colour up and leave before he posts his big blind. He has been sucking out for the last hour or so and is up quite a bit. He has approx 1k in chips and is up about 700$. The dealer says are you leaving? He says , yes after this hand. I notice he has an additional 30$. He limps in and looks at his EVEN stacks again. I can tell he does not want to go below 1K. I think that if he does play and go below the 1k he will stay longer. If he is in for 1 bet preflop he will call any bet, and he sees most rivers and every turn of the pots he is in. I look down and see 62o. I am mp and raise, player next to me 3 bets, and the fish UTG calls 2 cold, I cap , both call. After the hand is over dealer says are you done? Fish says no I'll play a few more hands, and posts his bb. +EV? or not worth it???? Any thoughts or commens appreciated.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: +EV play capping preflop with 62o?????

Just fold preflop. I guess if you accidentally knocked 4 chips in, and the dealer calls it a raise, I would call the 3 bet, with the intention of c/f most flops.

Seriously, you gave away $40, well, probably like $30 in equity, so one fish "might" stay. What if that guy flops two pairs and wins the hand? This is just a bad plan from the start.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Only if ITWASSOOOOTED
Old 03-05-2006, 01:56 PM

-EV. You paid 2 BB into a hand with nothing (3rd worst starting hand in Hold'em!), with someone strong enough to raise you and someone else who'll show down a 7 high no matter how much you raise? How did you plan to reduce his stack to get him to stay? Hope to drag a pair? Hell, that's how he's playing. Seems like you're most likely to give him a bonus on his last hand. I'm assuming the raiser won the hand. Good for him, but not sure how this helps you. The fish is probably going to stay for another orbit or two, perhaps until his stack goes back to $1000 or down to $900. If his stack was $980, you paid $40 for a shot at $80 or so at a table with 9 other players.

I ran this in Pokerstove. Preflop, you had 18% equity, the so-called horrible player had 27% (assuming he calls 80% of his hands from UTG -- which doesn't come close to including 62o), and CO had 55% (assuming he 3-bets ~8% of his hands). I guess, if your plan was to get the fish to match your losing bets for transfer to the guy next to you, that part of it worked (except he'd have given it up anyway - you just sweetened the pot a bit).
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 PM

are you saying that you did this partially to put him below the 1k mark and in response stay longer. If so this is really multi level thinking, and quiete genuis and possibly +ev. But, you didn't say anything about putting extra raises to force him to put more bets in. Hmm, maybe I'm off on this.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 PM

I like the thinking, but putting in 2 BB preflop with complete trash isn't worth (potentially) having the fish around for a little longer. Maybe something like AJo, or JTs or 77. How much do you estimate the fish's prescence is increasing your BB/hour? How much longer do you think he will stay on average? How much do you think you're losing preflop from playing the 62o like you did?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Only do this when you can flop 662. Otherwise fold and hope someone behind you with a real hand will raise to get him to dump a few chips.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM

ha ha thanks for all the responses guys, I did not think this move through untill after I did it. Initially I was 95% sure that this guy would stay at the table if he went below the 1k mark. He is bad and should lose all his chips the way he plays. Of course i realize that there is no guarantee that this is going to happen in this particular session.So I was thinking along this line 1000/ 9 other players = 111.00. I felt my share of the 1000 would be larger since I have an edge over some of the other players at the table as well. At any rate my thinking was correct and he did stay as a result of going below 1k when he was clearly leaving before losing those chips. I guess at the time I thought the 40$ investment was worth keeping the 1000$ at the table. I guess a different way of looking at it would be this. If, instead of capping with 62o I paid the player 40$ to stay and play for 2 more hours, Is this +ev or no?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 PM

Well, re-read my post. Again, how much do you think his prescence is increasing your hourly rate? And how long do you think he will stay on average? If you think you will stay 2 hours longer, and add $20 to your hourly winrate, then it's +EV because capping with 62o isn't worth exactly -$40. But then you have to take into account that he actually has a decent chance of winning the pot and still going home. Also, just because he stayed 2 hours this particular time, that doesn't mean on average he will stay 2 hours. Overall, I'd say no, there's no way in hell it's +EV.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 PM

yea you make some good points. These are all the things I wondered about after making the play. Though I felt good about the fact that my play made him stay at the table. I was not/am still not sure it was worth the investment.