Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Default Potential for problems when installing new HD?

Present set up: Master HD - older 20 gig (Fat 32); Slave - newer 80 gig (NTFS); neither are partitioned. Windows Home XP.

Goal: replace old Master with new 80 gig (it's the same model as the Slave)

My plan: Take out old Slave, install new so I can format and partition it. Copy all XP files to Slave. When I've done this, if I change the pin so Slave is now Master, take out old Master and install new, will it boot and run?

If it won't and I have to do the whole re-install/setup thing, is there an easier way than using the original XP disc, then the Service Pack disc and who knows how many hours d/l’g updates from MS?

TIA for any comments/warnings/suggestions.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Potential for problems when installing new HD?

No easy way..

You will need a XP disc...and from the sound of it you'll need a version of XP pro..not home. You will need to download updates from the MS website...do not pass go do not collect 200.

While you're in there I would never ever re-use a old ass 20gig HD. You can get an new 160gig drive for 90 bucks.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Did the new drive come with some migration software?
If not, go to the website of the manufacture, there may be some there to download. Somethiing like a Ghost program to clone the old drive to the new. I have seen this by some hard drive makers, but never used it.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 AM

Take this opportunity to do a clean install. Your computer will run smooth again for a few months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Move data to slave, Install new master and re-install is my opinion.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take this opportunity to do a clean install. Your computer will run smooth again for a few months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.
MS updates won't take that long, it's re-installing every program you use that will take awhile. It's annoying but not the end of the world. I've done it a few times.

If you really don't want that hassel, look for migration software like someone said. I've never done that, but I'm sure there's a fairly easy way to get an image of your drive to the new drive.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:36 PM

<u> Yeknom </u>,
Why would I need Pro? My intent is to dump the 20. I already have the new 80.

<u> DQPaulie </u>,
Yes, it's got the s/w but it doesn't partition. I want to format and partition the new 80gig before I move anything from the 20. If I simply clone/Ghost I won't have the partitions.

My thought/wish was to keep Windows in one partition and Progs/Data separated.

<u> Meech </u>, <u> Smore </u> and <u> CrazyEyez </u>,
I agree, a clean install is probably the best (rilly rilly wanted not 2 hear that), but I've first got to make sure the new HD is formatted/partitioned. I can't do that unless I can make the present Slave the new/temp Master (to my way of thinking - and I could very well be wrong, I know).

When/if the new 80 is f/p'd, I'd like to simply clone/ghost the XP files, only. Then, if it will boot, I'll pull the 20 and put it (the new 80) in. If my thinking is right, I can then do a clean install. Did I lose you? I know I'm getting confused.

After that, I can put the 20 back in (as Slave) and move all the Prog/Data files to the new Master. Out comes the 20, in with the current 80 and life is good.

I'm hoping I'll be able to avoid re-installing all my Progs. I've got a lot and after a home move over a year ago I still have computer crap I can't find.

<u> Everyone </u>
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate your thoughts and hope to get more.

Nut
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM

I think I follow you, but I don't think it's possible. I don't believe you can "copy" the entire OS over to the new drive. As far as I know, your only options are to a) copy the whole drive image to the new drive, or b) reinstall OS/programs to the new drive then copy data over.

Yes you won't be able to have two partitions if you do it the first way. If you want XP on one partition and everything else on another (great idea - that's how I have mine) then you simply cannot avoid having to reinstall all your programs. And it's not like you can just copy the windows folder to the new drive and have a functioning OS either. I really think your best bet is to start from scratch. I also really don't think it will be as much work as you think. And the XP install disk will take care of the formatting/partitioning on the new drive.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:06 PM

CrazyEyez,

You're right about not being able to just copy the OS. I'd already tried. The HD s/w copies everything but the HD won't then boot. I think there are files in use at the time of copying that either don't get copied or somehow invalidate the new HD as having a legal or operable OS. (make sense?) MS got tired of folks stealing their stuff and I know they built in a lot of safeguards with XP.

I don’t remember XP, when I installed it (as an upgrade), offering partitioning as an option. Would be nice if it does. I’m glad you agree it’s a good idea. I see a lot of plusses.

At this point it looks like I'm going to have to:
1. Install and format the new HD (Slave). Not sure if the OEM s/w will partition. Ideally it will - probably better than what MS might offer.
2. Pull present Master and put in new HD as Master. Install XP from original CD, SP2 CD, and d/l updates.
3. Put old HD in (as Slave), copy everything except XP to new HD.
4. Replace current Slave.

Unless I hear otherwise, looks like my weekend is going to be very unexciting.

Again, thanks,
Nut
Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 PM

Yup you sound like you've got the right procedure.

YOu may be right about disk formatting options on the XP install CD. I have pro so maybe it's an extra feature. I don't know. I just know I've used mine to format and then partition.

The nice thing about having the OS on it's own partition is that in a bad scenario you can reformat and then reinstall XP, which I had to do once.