Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Default How much to bet? (PLO100)

I have QQ63 UTG and limp (stack $143).

5 to the flop, which comes Qc7c4h. A pretty aggro player in BB fires pot, and I call (ok, one can raise here, but I'm liking the call usually--keeps more bad hands in). Turn comes 4c, sweet! He checks, and I half-pot. He calls.

River 3d, so nothing new. Now he fires full pot, and I raise pot (he had $127 at the beginning of the hand). He folds...

I'm thinking this might have been a good spot to mini-raise, actually. I look very flushy, and I think he'll probably at least call with nut flush, maybe even re-pot, probably repot 77.

Opinions?

The trick here is certainly not to get called exclusively by 44...

Anyhow, I think my bet was too big.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: How much to bet? (PLO100)

What limit game is this?
Aisde from your flop call, which I hate, I think that you played the hand fine; your raise was IMO situationally appropriate. I don't think that Q74 with a possible flush draw is a great place to be slowplaying top set.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Your'e losing too much value just calling here because of the 6 and 3 in your hand, which really hurts wrap + FD hands that you may be up against. It also lets 77 get away from their hand on the turn.

I'm all for slowplaying sets a fair amount of the time, but that 6 and 3 really do help your hand against anyone's range here.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

I agree with that, but they don't help against flush draw.

Here's my current strategy (as a rule): I raise QQ with good flush draw here or a monster draw if I have position. I definitely push top set OOP.

The thing is, at the 100s on Stars (villain in this hand I hadn't seen before, but we did have a few hands before this one), almost everyone will lay down middle set to a raise. So, I'm left after a raise with monster draws only almost always (ok, once in a while someone gets out of line). What I like here is that in the case of a blank, I pick up an extra bet from top 2 and middle set if I just flat call.

I'm honestly convinced that with position, the flat call is the better play IF the pot is HU (and admittedly, here, there are a few players who can also call, so it's by no means guaranteed HU).

I will say that in my live 1/2/5 game, I'm not at all sure that raising isn't the best play normally, as they'll call pretty much anything and do have trouble laying down middle set. But the Stars 100 is really pretty tight.

Anyhow, I kind of regret that the focus here is on the flop rather than the river, as that's what I'm really interested in. My current opinion is that mini-raise is the best play I probably look at least fairly tight even the first time I play someone, so my image is certainly going to be solid, although in this case, I had made some weird winning calls and one really bad call vs. short-stack with naked AA--well, I don't think it was that bad but I bet with position to checks in a 3-way pot with flush showing and then called a minususcule raise from short-stack with nothing but naked AA. Anyhow, I don't look completely nut-peddlish, but my VPIP is 20%-ish, and I've made a few weird calls.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 AM

i dont like your flop play

on the flop we have 5 players as you said and 2 draws (double str8 and FD). we def. should repot here.

on the turn check is kinda standart - we may give action to lower FH, str8, flush or induce bluff

river is probably standart also
Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 AM

raise the flop and thank bb for giving you the oppurtunity to price out any lame draws.