Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Default I HATE DONK BETS!! possible straight on river...

MP1 45.8/3.61/1.0 83 hands
UTG1 43.8/0/1 80 hands

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (8 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">HERO raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, HERO ??.

What do I do? Call/raise/fold? Seems like when I call these donk bets, I'm always faced with a flush, straight or some random 2 pair... it's caused me to be so jaded!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: I HATE DONK BETS!! possible straight on river...

:g:
Preflop and flop are good.
The turn is probably raise or fold. I would love to hear someone explain to me why just calling here is good but I don't think it is. I think I would raise the turn. Your queens may still be good despite the tricky board, and you will gain information from your opponents reaction. If it comes 3-bet to you call and reevaluate on the river. Not sure if this is good advice but it is what I would do
Old 10-20-2007, 01:03 PM

call with gutshot outs to the near nuts.
only call one on the actual river if it is the Heart out you are looking for.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:g:
Preflop and flop are good.
The turn is probably raise or fold. I would love to hear someone explain to me why just calling here is good but I don't think it is. I think I would raise the turn. Your queens may still be good despite the tricky board, and you will gain information from your opponents reaction. If it comes 3-bet to you call and reevaluate on the river. Not sure if this is good advice but it is what I would do

[/ QUOTE ]

raising here is spew. you aren't going to protect your hand cause the pot is too big. if utg is donking a flush draw on the flop, he will be getting 10:2 if he calls. you will also be getting 3 bet by a str8 and will have to pay a premium on your draw. trying to get this hand to showdown cheaply is a much better plan.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:25 PM

fold &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; call &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t; raise
Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM

MP1 doesn't look aggressive so I think we are behind here with about 2.5 outs (4T's less the one he holds, less the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when MP1 doesn't have it)

Compounding that problem, we have to think UTG+1 is playing a flush draw a lot of the time,

I fold.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call with gutshot outs to the near nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we can give 4 gutshot outs here. One of those Ts is going to be in hisor even UTG+1's hand a fair amount of the time.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 PM

* g *

a difficult situation, but still you can't take into account past mishaps... the guy doesn't understand the concept of check-raising, how can you trust that he doesn't just have the jack? ok, your hand seems to be behind but you have outs 3 tens (if he hold the jack high straight with one of them) and 2 queens (if he has two pair). the most important aspect of this hand is that although you are probably behind there is a third player in the hand which cant draw to overcards such as an ace or a king (a flush draw has odds) two bets cold, so it seems like a good idea to try to knock him out.

well, my 2 cents... i wonder what others have said...
Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 PM

beya, raising to try and stop 3rd player drawing to overcards is not the main concern here. the main concern here is the guy who just donked....
Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 AM

I think for this hand, I called the river donk, can't remember if UTG1 called. But river was a rag. MP1 bet again, and I called, thinking pot's too big to fold for 1 bet! That's when I sometimes have difficulty deciding if I should fold to just one bet. Anyone has any advice?

Looks like the river call was a spew by me...