Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 AM

Default NL10...nut flush draw....is this spew?

I made an effort to be more aggressive on the turn tonight. I have been c-betting after raising preflop. But if someone calls my c-bet, I usually check behind on the turn.

That's weak, I know. I think a strong flop & turn bet gets top pair and middle pair to lay down a lot.

In this hand, was the turn raise spewy? On the river, if I check behind, I lose. So shove the rest of it in?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $7.80
SB: $10.05
BB: $1.80
UTG: $10
UTG+1: $5.15
MP1: $1.60
Hero (MP2): $10
CO: $38.85

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP2)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($0.90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, SB calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.90</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.90</font>, SB calls $3

River: ($12.70) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero ?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: NL10...nut flush draw....is this spew?

raise more on the flop if you are going to

but calling is probably best in this spot at this level
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 AM

"In this hand, was the turn raise spewy?"

IMO yes. He called your flop 'raise' and continues to bet the turn. This is not the best spot to bluff. As BS said if you raise flop, then put in a larger raise like to $2. I also prefer a call.

Like you, I mostly check behind if my c-bets are called and I have nothing (except for some situations where I think I have a very good chance to get a fold). I never thought of it as a leak, people call down so easily that double barrell bluffs are probably not that profitable.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 AM

Raise more on the flop, say to around $2, if you're going to raise. The turn raise is spew. At 10NL I agree that it's probably best to call and keep the pot small, but raising is fine to mix it up.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 AM

I think it's all already been said, but i'll have a go too.

FWIW, I'd not open raise A7s, i'd prefer to have A9s or better. I'm a nit though.

On the flop I see no point in raising. He's donked out into you after your PF raise, so there's a higher likelyhood he's caught a peice of the flop. I think calling and drawing here is the best option, because I doubt he's folding to a raise.

As played I think folding the turn is good. He's not going to fold to a raise here, and any meaningful raise you make leaves so little behind.

Could you flat call and draw? Maybe I suppose. A third spade might scare him but I think he's pretty much stuck in with this hand now, he obviously likes it and I think the 'average unknown' NL10 player wont fold anything on the river that he's been betting so strongly with.

So i'm going to to a bit of maths, which i'll probably get wrong, so if anybody who knows their stuff can correct me, feel free.

You're about 20% to make your flush. You've got to call $1.90. So basically if you think he'll get AI (get $10 in the pot) everytime a spade comes, and you'll always win then I think you can draw. But at the end of the day it's marginal, so I still say fold.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 AM

I donīt think this will ever work without scarecard on the river. Not that i never tried...
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been c-betting after raising preflop. But if someone calls my c-bet, I usually check behind on the turn.

That's weak, I know. I think a strong flop &amp; turn bet gets top pair and middle pair to lay down a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends very much.

Itīs just not a good idea to say "this is NL10, so..."

Instead, you need to be aware wether or not your opponent is a 15/5 regular who has a lot of hands with you. Or is he a station.

Nl10 really has it all, all kind of players. The tight ones play abc, thatīs whatīs good about them, but tight they are. The gamblers donīt fold, because they want to gamble. The bad players fold when they think they are beat, but they fail to understand that say top pair weak kicker is not a strong hand.