Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Default pre flop raise amount

Say I play 25NL. Can anyone explain to me the difference for making your standard preflop raise a certain amount when you are the first raiser and there are no limpers yet?

Some people say 75cents.Some people 85cents. Some people 1.00$

Its my theory that if you raise 75cents its better than 85cents or a dollar. Because if they are going call 75cents they will call 1 dollar. But considering all the times you have to shut down post flop, you would be saving yourself money long term by raising to 25 instead of a dollar.

If I am wrong please let me know, and explain why.thank you
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: pre flop raise amount

It all depends really. Some people advocate always raising 3xBB. Some say 3xBB + 1 BB for every limper.

Personally, in late position for me it's 3xBB unless I have a nuts hand and know I'll get callers, then I up it a bit. In early position, I don't necessarily want huge multiway pots with non-nuts hands, so I'm always raising a bit bigger.

It's a bad trap to fall into raising the same amount every time. Vary your play a bit, don't be too predictable.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if they are going call 75cents they will call 1 dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a strong argument for raising to $1?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM

As you noticed people raise different amounts. It can be based on hand strength (hopefully not, position or personal preference.

$.75 is 3xbb, $1 is 4xbb and $.85 is a pot-sized bet. Personally as a habit I do $1 as not all sites have the pot button so $.85 is akward to type in. Also most will raise one additional big blind for each poster and limper.

Another time you will commonyl see the preflop reaise vary is if the raiser is out of position. Personally if I am betting from the blinds I will bet more knowing that I will be playing out of position.

Your theory does make sense but you also have to look at the opposite. Some see the $1 as a much larger amount than an number in the cents still and can be used to push them out of the pot. Also with a larger raise PF you can set-up the rest of the betting and help to get the money in the middle through planning.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a strong argument for raising to $1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily.

The statement isn't true, anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

This will depend on the table. If you are getting 3 callers with a preflop raise of 4 big blinds then tighten up and raise more. You want callers of higher bets when you have your premium hands. at the 25NL level you should only be playing your good hands anyway. abc poker.

if you expect to be closing down post flop then thats wrong frame of mind. A continuation bet will take down a lot of pots. If you have raised $1 then there is more in there that you will win with a cbet. This is player dependant so knowing if they will call cbets is key.

One thing to note is to keep your preflop bets the same as to not show any difference in your hand ranking.

hope this makes sense as i rushed it....
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's a bad trap to fall into raising the same amount every time. Vary your play a bit, don't be too predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it better to raise the same ammount everyhnad so that you can disguise your big hands? I mean if you raise 75cents 90% of the time and raise 1.50 when you have a big hand it makes it kinda obvious
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM

'It's a bad trap to fall into raising the same amount every time. Vary your play a bit, don't be too predictable. '

i disagree with this. making the same bet gives away no imformation at all. making a calculated bet based on hand strength and position preflop could give away information. varying your play by betting random amounts could be the same as betting the same amount as long as it is random.

Obv post flop is a different matter.

thoughts ?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Who says the calculated bet is based on strength? Obv. you're not going to start raising 5BB whenever you have [QQ,AA], and 3BB all other hands in your range, this would be ridiculous. You want to vary your betting in such a way that throws villain off of putting a range on you or discovering your betting pattern.

Yes, you should keep a standard bet. But you don't need to stick to it ALL the time, and in my view, you shouldn't- for no good mathematical reason, purely psychological.

If you're constantly making the same size bet, it's going to be pretty easy for your opp to put you on a range of hands, based on boards/postflop play and what you show down.

If, say after 4 orbits of doing nothing but 3xBB betting, you switch it up to 3xBB+1BB/caller, it's going to be kind of hard for opponents to know what to make of it. In the same vein, if you just raise 1BB after a few orbits of standard betting, it's going to throw them off too.

All I'm saying is that every now and then you should throw a weird/odd/not regular sized bet into your routine, as it'll help you project the loose/unpredictable image you want to have at a table.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 PM

These posts are really good for sure, but recently I read this article from Phil Gordon and liked it's ideas alot on disguising while still varying your bet size preflop, I think it applies well to either tourney or cash play so go ahead and read it and tell me your opinion on it...

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/pro-tip...on&tip=120