Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Default AKs What would you do?

I'm trying to refine my tournament strategy. We have just moved into the money. Here is the hand. What would you do and why?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) converter

SB (t4890)
BB (t8838)
UTG (t12365)
UTG+1 (t12313)
Hero (t4468)
MP2 (t5615)
MP3 (t4300)
CO (t4850)
Button (t6598)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t5200</font>, Hero calls t3243 (All-In).

Flop: (t9818) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t9818) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t9818) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t9818
Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: AKs What would you do?

beat him to the pot.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do

[/ QUOTE ]
call

[ QUOTE ]
and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
because I have AKs

The quality of posts in MTT may be at an all time low these days.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:56 PM

You know the answer to this. Stop being results oriented. Make the right play. That's all you can do. That's why we recommend not posting hand results. The result isn't important. Making the right play is.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:04 PM

No, I don't know the answer to this. That's why I'm asking the question. Lately I'm thinking I won't go all-in with AKsuit preflop then I think...maybe that's a mistake. I don't think I posted the results did I? I'm looking for advice is all. I'm still new at this. I'm sorry if my level of questioning is troubling you but I am fairly new at this.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:06 PM

Do you understand estimated value? This is not meant to be condescending, but you seem to not. Please read TPFAP and TOP if you haven't already.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:10 PM

I will read TOP again. I'm obviously missing something. What is TPFAP?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tourn. Poker For the Advanced Player"
Old 03-04-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen. In this hand you have to establish a range of possible hands for your opponent. Once you have done that you weigh your equity agaisnt that range of hands, and compare it with the price that the pot is laying you. In this particular case, it's a no brainer because with AKs you are likely over 50% against his range so you do not need to calculate your pot odds. If you had a worse hand, say AJo, and you determind you were getting say 2-1 at the pot (just an example, not saying that this is the case here) and you determined that you are a just under a 2-1 dog against his range, than it is a call with a positive expected value. Thats the situation in a nutshell. Welcome to the forum, and sorry for being an [censored].
Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM

No apology necessary. I appreciate everyone's responses. I will order Mr. Sklansky's Tournament book. (Already googled the title, see?) I think I sorted it out. In this situation, I believe I did the right thing. I had a very strong opening hand. BB had been bluffing a bit too frequently for 2 levels and I had no way of knowing what he really had. I put him on at most a pair of some sort. I should have simply called but I do believe, based on his track record, he would have ultimately done the same thing, raise or call. Or he would have slow-played and tried to check us through the game until the river. Had he done that I would have folded and felt like a wimp but at least I would have known I had nothing. Turns out he won with AA. Although I'm out I think I played correctly. Sometimes? That's poker. Gosh...it was such a pretty hand...