Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Deep ITM $5 6max : Spew w/ AK?

I'm 6 or 7 out of 18 left. No reads on villain, he was literally just moved to the table. This hand went exactly as I had hoped it would - I checked the flop and made a weak turn bet hoping to induce a hand like 1010-KK or a weaker A to shove. Am I too deep to be doing this? I think one of my main problems is being over-aggressive and I occasionally stack off in spots when I think I'm being tricky.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t98966)
Hero (t77206)
SB (t111181)
BB (t60586)
UTG (t42051)
MP (t22010)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t12000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t7200.

Flop: (t24600) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t24600) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t9999</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t86816</font>, Hero calls t55057 (All-In).

River: (t176472) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t154712
Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Deep ITM $5 6max : Spew w/ AK?

First off, I'm not too keen on the reraise preflop, depends on the player I guess. Second, I don't think your turn bet was really very weak (just under half the pot), and he may not have read it as weak but as a bet with an ace that he could make the huge raise that he did and get paid off.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 PM

The pf rr is fine, specially this deep on the button, huge fold equity here.
I think you want someone to tell you to bet that flop.
Bet that flop, we built a huge pot that we can have without a showdown, go get it! no need to get tricky. 2/3 pot cont bet, if he comes over us we have to re-evaluate as we've repped our hand pretty well pf, this is $5 however, we're prolly +EV to go to the felt at any price. 88 right?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM

15k on the flop, Calling a shove on the flop.

As played this is a fold, just because this size bet is rarely less than AK. I think betting the flop makes taking this to the felt easier. For some reason I think I call a shove on the flop, but not as played. Probably horrid
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 AM

I actually don't mind the flop check (I wouldn't do it usually, but there's nothing wrong with it, that board couldn't be more dry,) and 3betting PF is beyond standard, but make it like 15k or something, 12k is too small. When you do bet the turn, bet more, at least 60% of the pot...I don't know what the problem is, this is exactly what you are looking for, if he hit a set then oh well but there's no escape. If he luckboxed a flush then don't post bad beats.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The pf rr is fine, specially this deep on the button, huge fold equity here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that fold equity is huge here?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 AM

Sean311, the fold equity is very good in this spot because we're nearing the FT, and I'm making a reraise in position against a villain w/ no read on me. Theres pretty much nobody thats calling my raise without a legitimate hand.

And Dunkman, not meant to be a bad beat post. I've just started playing tourneys seriously, and I've noticed that one of my main problems is trying to be too fancy and getting myself into bad situations. I thought this might be a situation where I overplayed my hand given the size of the stacks and wanted other viewpoints.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 AM

I just think that the chips you take down when a worse hand (most likely) folds won't be enough to make up the losses you will have when a superior hand calls and you have to hit the flop in a much bigger pot.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think that the chips you take down when a worse hand (most likely) folds won't be enough to make up the losses you will have when a superior hand calls and you have to hit the flop in a much bigger pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous, AK absolutely destroys the range of someone opening from the CO, you're raising for value, obviously you don't mind if he folds, but you're also way ahead of his calling range, AND you have position. I can't think of a single reason not to reraise here.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked the flop and made a weak turn bet hoping to induce a hand like 1010-KK or a weaker A to shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes little sense to me given the fact that all weaker aces that get to this flop will pay you off. Also, why would TT;JJ (QQ:KK shove pre 80-90% of the time) think they are good here if your 3-bet range is prob JJ-AA;AQ;AK? Even if you check this flop with JJ-KK, his TT;JJ is still behind all of your range.

Not betting at least 12K here is FPS, and u lose value by doing this. Checking this flop with AA is fine, but you should lead here with AK, cause the only hands that you're going to stack here are weaker aces.