Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Party Steps Tournament Quick vs. Regular

Has anyone figured out how many Step 1 buy-ins in the regular scheme turn into a WSOP seat? Like 2000 step one buy-ins pays for a seat or whatever.

Same question for The "Quick" Steps.

I guess to answer that question you could assume that all cash payouts in later steps are reinvested into the Step system. There's so much happening and once you're beyond step 1 the "drop outs" are so few that it's hard for me to get a handle on the math. Maybe someone else already has.

I've got a buddy who's not so much worried about the EV of the steps tournaments, but is wondering what gives him the best *chances* of making the WSOP through the Step system and isn't sure which way to go.

Rob
Old 03-04-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Party Steps Tournament Quick vs. Regular

From what I can see so far, the best way, (if you have the bankroll, and less time) is to buy in directly to Quick step #3. ($280)

When you're in quick step #3, you can't move down to a lower step, you either move up to 5, move up to 4, stay at 3, or get $15 cash. So that basically negates the rake trap and makes it as true a regular tournament as possible.

Quick step 4 only place 9 moves down to step 2, and at quick step 5, places 7,8,9 move down to step 2.

Steps are usually -ev, and rake traps, but are very fishy. Buying into quick step 3 seems to be the best way to avoid the rake trap as much as possible if you are going to play the steps anyway.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 PM

But are they indeed rake traps? I didn't do them for every level, but it seems as if the prize pool is completely given out. Sure it's annoying to get stuck in endless loops, but I think you're paying fair rake.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steps are usually -ev, and rake traps,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like saying a $55 sng is a rake trap, because if you win you have to keep playing $55 sit and go's (if you are a $55 player).
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM

Right.
If I only wanted to play 1 SNG ever then being forced to play another is a trap.

If I'm willing to work my original buy-in into a higher level and then have no problem spending the $1000 buy-in on the highest step (or whatever) then it isn't exactly a trap per-se (imo...but there are people in the STT forum who certainly agree with the 'trap' assessment).

Mostly, I think the Steps can be +EV because so many players approach the strategies incorrectly.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:50 PM

I'm considering giving the steps a shot for the wsop. I'm mainly a STT $55 player, so I'm trying to find the best game to fit my skill set. These look like my best bet.

I was talking with someone over AIM about this, and one thing that would suck is being caught in an endless loop (certainly possible) and having the wsop come up. Like if you have a step 4 buyin after the wsop starts. I wish they would refund you if that happens.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 PM

I'm pretty sure they do refund you.

It just takes them awhile. And they are pretty lazy about getting to it.

But the risk of them saying they aren't going to pay back is definitely worth considering.

On Stars, your T$ and W$ can be used whenever and wherever. So you can just keep playing one satellite after another without worry.
In the Party steps there is a real danger of getting 'stuck'.

For this reason, I don't recommend having more than 1 step going at a time.
Finish the loop on one of them before starting another.
This means you have to be comfortable just playing out the step 1's that you get stuck with. Just open that table in another corner of your screen and ABC-autopilot it.

Since I'm comfortable doing that I don't view it as a trap...or a risk of losing significant money on it.

If I have 1 step left with a month to go then I just keep playing that one until it runs out...and I don't bother to start another one because I don't want to get stuck with it.

Part of the problem is that there are some real pros who will just buy-in at the highest levels...they will win their seat and then keep playing them to win the cash that is there.
You are NOT just playing against fellow steppers who got lucky and climbed their way up. There are some top SNG'er players who are most familiar with the format and what it takes to win those things...and can play them with zero nervousness...whereas you or I would probably really be excited and sweating it... trying, hoping and praying that we can win that damn seat.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Oh, if you are right about them refunding unfulfilled entries, that's great. I do realize that some pros play them just for the cash. But I also think that I'm good enough at SNGs to stand a fighting chance. Surely there will be some luckboxes who won their way up.

Anyways, it's mostly just a dream of mine. I'm only going to set aside a few hundred dollars to try to qualify. If I don't, I won't be devestated.

Just curious, Bob, have you decided how you're going to qualify yet?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:26 PM

one thing that is interesting to me that I havn't seen anyone mention yet is the levels are 15 mins in the steps, giving alot more play.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Haven't decided how I will try to qualify...nor how hard i will be trying to.

Got bills to pay too of course.

Stars sats and DS's and what-not are pretty good.
Party steps look intriguing to me.
The occasional huge-field party-freeroll I'm not opposed to either. Just sign-up and don't worry about it too much...if you accululate chips and have a chance then great. If not, who cares.

I'm definitely in favor of places that pay for your hotel-stay and don't take it out of the prize-pool.
The fact that party is now doing this makes them a serious contender to draw some of my satellite efforts.

I've seen a couple other sites with some similar overlay-type opportunities in there that I might fool around with.

but mostly this is just opening a $10 step-1 or STT-qualifier or whatever while I'm 4 or 5 tabling the ring-games.

If I'm doing a bit more healthy financially in the coming months then I might plop-down a few buy-in's on $160 PS double-shootouts and what-not (took me 6 or 7 tries to win my seat on the DS's last year).

Right now it's just screwing around as cheaply and non-intrusively as I can to see if some sort of miracle happens...while actually doing my REAL work.