Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Early in a $1 tourny kk

I was playing a ferguson tourny on FTP. i was MP and the second hand just started i was dealt KK in MP. One known loose player limped UTG and i raised 3 time the BB(90). The button called the BB called and the Limper called.
the flop was 7 4 9 rainbow and the dude UTG pushed I folded the Button Called and the BB folded. This was a bad play i think.......or was it??? could i get some advice plz
ps i cashed in 61st
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Early in a $1 tourny kk

First things first...I hate your pfr, especially
after a loose limper and more behind you. If you
raise to ~160 the hand plays differently, no?

-ZEN
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM

NO! YOU MUST CALL HERE!!!! it's a $1, don't forget that. In the early stages of these donkaments, people are maniacs and will jam any two cards/flush draw, jam any top pair, call any preflop raise w/ any two suited cards. If you can survive the first two hours of the micro tournaments, you will have made it through the most difficult section (the minefield section) when no one feels like they have commited enough time/money to the tournament to play well, but on the bubble, people generally tighten up. immediatly after the bubble comes "minefield, prt 2"; make it through this to the final 27 players and everyone decides that maybe they should play better and try to land final table. I play these all the time, and I can say that your play was perfect (not commiting too much to the pot preflop in case an ace landed, going all the way with your overpair against two obvious retards, etc). Your main goal at the early stages of these tournaments is to limp marginal hands in middle/late position with at least 2 limpers ahead of you, lightly raise your 10-10 through K-K hands (people who are willing to call a 3xBB bet, are also willing to call a 6xBB bet with no extra thought), value bet AA; try to get the opponent all in with a flop of K83 or something of that nature. just my $.02... GL

another thing: Don't worry about table image because no one will notice, however you should be aware of who is horrible at your table vs the people who aren't getting involved in very many hands at all. I also wouldn't advise continuation bets unless you get something on the flop (even a flush draw is good for a continuation, but if you completely wiff, just check/fold unless you catch turn or river top pair)
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...not commiting too much to the pot preflop in case an ace landed...lightly raise your 10-10 through K-K hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I was with you until these disturbing phrases!

Also, you advocate getting AI with AA on a Kxx flop, but
you think folding KK on that board is perfect?

Way confusing.

-ZEN
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...not commiting too much to the pot preflop in case an ace landed...lightly raise your 10-10 through K-K hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I was with you until these disturbing phrases!

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell you how many times I've preflop raised 5xBB JJ in middle position, gotten 4 callers, and had flop off KQ2, only to see an all in showdown of K2 - vs - Q2.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you think folding KK on that board is perfect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an idiot, sorry, I misread the OG post, thought he called....
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Your post is really confusing, but if you folded KK on that flop you should quit. Oh yeah, raise to like 120 or 150 PF and instacall the flop shove.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM

sry guys this was my firt post not really sure hoe to make a board and all that this advice is good.

also i was tired of being sucked out in these tournys so i folded and built my stackslowly and steadily from then on
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sry guys this was my firt post not really sure hoe to make a board and all that this advice is good.

also i was tired of being sucked out in these tournys so i folded and built my stackslowly and steadily from then on

[/ QUOTE ]

Copy the HH from Full Tilt, then go to the FAQ in this forum and find the Hand Converter link and copy the HH into that. Then post it here. Also, the part I bolded is absolutely horrible thinking.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Raise more PF, somewhere between 5 - 8BBs is fine (it's $1, you'll get called). Hand will be totally different from there, but on that board i'd get all the chips in.

As played easy call IMO.