Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Standard calldown or not?

Villain is unknown.

b/f or calldown?

If b/f - i also have to fold QQ,KK, right?

Limit Hold'em, $1/$2

BB ($48.25) (Hero)
MP3 ($42.75)
CO ($24.50)
Button ($105.10)
SB ($37.13)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls,

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( 3,25BB )
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Standard calldown or not?

This is a spot where I end up calling down knowing very well its -EV in a vacuum.

But if I start bet/folding every time a smart villain will pick up on it and take shots on every goddam Axx flop.

If this was the last hand of poker I was ever gonna play I'd just fold.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a spot where I end up calling down knowing very well its -EV in a vacuum.

But if I start bet/folding every time a smart villain will pick up on it and take shots on every goddam Axx flop.

If this was the last hand of poker I was ever gonna play I'd just fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can check raise him on the turn now when you have it. If you are calling down here though, they will also adjust to not bluff you on this flop so you have to watch for that. Then you start folding and they readjust so it sounds like a game theory thing.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM

On this kind of board... I agree that to force him to reconsider bluffing you should not 3bet as often with made hands, but go with the c/r on the turn..thats forcing the villian to put in more bets on a bluff if he wants to make this play against you.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, you can check raise him on the turn now when you have it. If you are calling down here though, they will also adjust to not bluff you on this flop so you have to watch for that. Then you start folding and they readjust so it sounds like a game theory thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

once we show this hand down
next similar situation vs this villian
i like the line of b/c c/c c/f

[ QUOTE ]

On this kind of board... I agree that to force him to reconsider bluffing you should not 3bet as often with made hands, but go with the c/r on the turn..thats forcing the villian to put in more bets on a bluff if he wants to make this play against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you want to turn our hand into a bluff?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are assuming the worst possible case scenario in this situation. I don't think there are too many players at $1/$2 that make such complex reads and there definitely aren't enough to turn this into a +EV proposition IMO.
Also, you need to remember that there are several hands with an ace that you would defend with a three-bet. Because the steal came from the button I could justify, depending on the game, that I could resteal with probably A9s+ and up (since you have no reads I can't say for sure). I just think villain would lose a lot trying to bluff on any Axxx flop given any standard three-bet range.

That said, what i would do if it actually happened to me is call down and lose to A-rag and kick myself for not letting pocket pairs go.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Tough to say. Against an unknown in 5/T+, this is closer to a 3b then to a fold (and 3b is terrible against most, so yah just call). Against an unknown at 1/2...I dunno - it seems like a random 1/2 donk would be more likely to wait for the turn/river with Ax