Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default pc building web tutorial?

I am going to give this a shot tomorrow and wondered if you guys knew of any good web tutorials. I googled and found this but wondered if you guys knew of anything better.

Also any other general tips about the process are appreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: pc building web tutorial?

That one seems pretty good... not too much to it really. Your MB manual should cover most everything. I always build mine whilst buzzed but you may want to refrain [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

One thing I would suggest would be to use a plastic screwdriver to install the MB mounting screws. I have heard of people killing their boards by way of scratches.

Also I would get a ESD wrist strap. Should be like 5 bucks or less. Yes, it is probably overkill, but I'm kinda of a nit in that regard. Make sure it is properly grounded, not just hooked to the computer case when the PS isn't even plugged in.

When it is built, I would recommend running prime95 (an instance on each core if you have a dual/quad core proc) and memtest. You can search the web/CTH for info on how to test with these programs.

Just be sure to take your time and watch the processor. Be very gentle or you risk bending pins. Which BTW isn't the end of the world. I had a proc with ~ 10 bent pins that I corrected with a tweaser -- it ran like a champ. If I think of anything else I will let you know.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM

what case, processor and MB are you using?

the tedious part is connecting the case plugs to the MB and finding the right power connectors. Once you get through one it is pretty easy though.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I would get a ESD wrist strap. Should be like 5 bucks or less. Yes, it is probably overkill, but I'm kinda of a nit in that regard. Make sure it is properly grounded, not just hooked to the computer case when the PS isn't even plugged in.

[/ QUOTE ]
To reduce risk of static discharge you should also work naked.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what case, processor and MB are you using?

the tedious part is connecting the case plugs to the MB and finding the right power connectors. Once you get through one it is pretty easy though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811129024 (the one you recommended in a thread a few days ago)

MB: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813131025

Processor: Core2Duo 6750
Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Also, I want to set my HDs in RAID 0 and found this guide on the net. If anyone knows of anything better for that - I'd appreciate it as well.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I want to set my HDs in RAID 0 and found this guide on the net. If anyone knows of anything better for that - I'd appreciate it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd advise against RAID0. You probably don't need the kind of boost it will give, and it doubles your chance of catastrophic data loss.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd advise against RAID0. You probably don't need the kind of boost it will give, and it doubles your chance of catastrophic data loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can always go 4 drives 0+1, heh. Not sure what HD you were planning on getting OP but if you want speed I would just go with a raptor.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To reduce risk of static discharge you should also work naked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did say I was a nit at times... Seriously though OP, at least be sure to touch a ground before digging in. From Tom's Hardware

[ QUOTE ]

An accidental electrostatic discharge (ESD) could destroy a component, a fact that's caused many building guides to exaggerate this danger. In all truth, few experienced custom PC builders take more than the most basic precautions against ESD; even when it does occur, it's likely to follow the component's ground plane rather than zap its most sensitive parts.

The most basic precaution is to occasionally touch a ground, such as a large metal office desk or the metal case of a plugged-in system, to discharge your body. Additional ESD risks come from the use of carpeted workspaces and extremely dry environments, so another level of protection may come from the use of an antistatic mat under the chair and a humidifier for extremely dry rooms. Grounded wrist straps are an over-the-top method of protection rarely used outside of production environments, yet the extra-cautious will attain peace of mind when wearing one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 PM

I have mine set to RAID 1 which is mirrored. My work system is 10 (1+0) which is mirrored and striped.

You need to use a floppy to load the RAID drivers during the OS install or XP. Do this when tells you to press F6 for third party drivers. I don't see a floppy with the MB so you will probably need to make a disk from the Intel site for the ICH7R, but check your Mobo documentation.

As long as you install the drivers you can go back later and set up RAID Here is an intel link with a lot of good info.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

If you are worried about data integrety on the raid drives you can always install a 3rd drive to back up your improtant documents and photos. I went with RAID 1 because I am more worried about losing family photos than I am about the extra performance from stipping.
<font color="red">
I see a problem with your set up. Your motherboard does not support the 1333 FSB for the E6750. You should really get a MB with that bus if you are going to use that processor, it probably won't work in the 975 chipset. </font>