Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Getting 3bet on the flop with tp mk

Situations like this have been coming up a fair few times recently against tight fairly solid and predictable tags. They are normally around 24/19/ 1-2 and dont get out of line too often.

Villian open raises from MP
Hero calls in BB with J10o

Flop comes 4 J 7 rainbow

I check raise and get 3bet.

What i have been doing is just calling down but almost always i get shown J better kicker or an over pair.
Should i ever be folding the turn or river?
If i did fold ever would that just be setting myself up to bluffed in the future?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Getting 3bet on the flop with tp mk

put villain on a range of hands and refine that range as you gain new info. use pokerstove to see what kind of equity you have vs that range throughout the hand. this, along with the pot size, will help you figure out whether you should be calling folding or raising

there are some guys out there who you can dump it vs if they bet the river, but be very careful making folds like that getting the kind of pot odds you will be getting on the river
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 PM

oh yah and make sure to weight hands according to how likely you think he'd play them like this

like maybe you can give a 1/2 weighting to 89s or something here, or give less weighting to the kind of hands he would often wait until the turn to raise with
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 AM

Cheers. I probably should have said this is at 1/2 and the sort of players mentioned rarely open sc's like you mentioned but are much more the two face card, pp's kind of players.
Vs these from what i have observed so far a flop 3bet pretty much narrows it down to tpgk, overpair or possibly some kind of strong combo draw.
I undertsand what you mean about ranges and equity so i guess what im really asking is is for metagame reasons shuold i ever fold after c/r flop or is this just gonna make these players open up their flop 3betting ranges against me?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:26 AM

There is plenty of players where you can call the 3-bet and c/c c/f unimproved.

But as Yourface said you have to be careful and pretty sure about their range.

You cant call flop and fold turn tho IMO. This is gonna be a lower pp or a draw that hits a lower pair and then checks behind river often enough. So the decision to fold shoud be made on the river if you do it.

So making notes on how aggressive they valuebet the river in position is important. This also gives you the opportunity to make good folds with lower pairs and A high later on.

Finally I want to add that you need to keep raising here. Both TP and 2nd pair and 3 pair and any other peace of the board.

Oh, and against a 24/17's range in a rake heavy game I doubt preflop is good.