Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Default KQo vs 88 in a monster dead money pot when antes are just kicking in

Ok, so at this particular point in the tourney Im sitting reasonably comfortable with my chipstack in the top 10. I've been accumulating chips pretty agressively & have a good read on the table as I've been sitting there for more than several orbits. The table has been passive thusfar with no noticable resistance. The antes just kicked in and for the first time in long time the table wanted action on this hand with a few people calling for 2xBB to see the flop. Now here I am with KQo in the SB...mediocre at best from this position but I figure since I have a healthy chipstack this is the perfect time to eliminate the potential for a multiway pot, reduce the callers down and get some dead money in the middle....follow my logic so far?.....So anyhow, I bump it up a tad over 13x. Everyone folds to the Button who has 88 & goes ALL IN for his remaining chip stack. To tell you the truth I really didnt want to call him but I figured that It was at least a coinflip & with so much in the pot I was committed to a call.

+ $0.50 Tournament, 120/240 Blinds, 25 Ante, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP2: 7,937
CO: 4,705
BTN: 8,820
Hero (SB): 12,271
BB: 500
UTG: 5,985
UTG+1: 13,075
MP1: 11,132

Pre-Flop: (560) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to 480</font>, UTG+1 calls 480, MP1 calls 480, MP2 folds, CO calls 480, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 3,200</font>, 4 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to 4,680 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls 1,480

Flop: (11,240) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: (11,240) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: (11,240) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 11,240 Pot
CO showed 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Eights and Sevens) and LOST (-4,705 NET)
Hero showed K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Queens and Sevens) and WON 11,240 (+6,535 NET)

Even though the end result is what I wanted. I thought It would be a good hand to post to see if the consensus would say this was an obvious preflop overbet with a risky attempt at stealing and if so....how could it have been played differently?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: KQo vs 88 in a monster dead money pot when antes are just kicking in

I think that it was a pretty risky preflop stealing attempt, your preflop raise is way to big, there could be people out their slowplaying monsters or pp's like this and be more then willing to shove over a raise. I probably would have just completed, for me there are too many players to try and steal and the stack sizes of others are less than optimal, since if they call my raise they are pretty much shoving any flop. If I completed I would have probably led out with around a 1/2-2/3 pot sized bet, probably closer to 2/3.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: KQo vs 88 in a monster dead money pot when antes are just kicking in

Don't post results. Read the FAQ.

That being said, if you're gonna try to do what you're doing (which is try to steal the pot) you should be pushing. Raising 1/4 of your stack just commits you to call a push (and you're never ahead when that happens, sometimes you're a flip). You want to maximize FE here.

A good rule of thumb is never raise more than 20% of your stack PF. Just push if it's more than 20% of your stack. If you do raise more than 20% of your stack w/o pushing, it better be with a hand that you love calling a shove with (like QQ+).

Personally I call here and play it as a drawing hand.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM

I knew going in that this play was extreme but I wanted to take a stab, being that my read on the table was weak/tight. However, in retrospect I can see how a shove WOULD have been more of an +EV, not too mention look like more of an intimitadating play rather than run the risk of someone calling/shoving with a dominating hand.