Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 03:42 AM

Default red 99

loose 25/50
Very loose, agressive drunk player buys the button (BB+SB).
UTG raises. He's a tight middle aged white guy with a tommy bahama shirt. Seems like he's been around poker. I figure he would raise AQ utg but I'm not sure about AJ.
Next player cold calls. She's a strange playing older woman who takes a long time to think about things, although I'm not sure she has any idea what she is suppose to be thinking about. 2 fold.
I 3-bet red 99 from the HJ.
folded to BB who caps.

4 to the flop: 8c 3c 2c
Drunk checks, UTG bets, woman calls, I raise.
all call.

turn 8d. all check, I bet, all call.

River 5d. all check, bet?

how did I play the rest of the hand?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: red 99

I would value bet the river. It is possible somebody has you slightly beat, but nobody has shown too much aggresion in the hand and when in doubt its better to bet..
Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 AM

if your description of UTG is accurate this whole hand seems pretty spewy
Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 AM

I don't 3 bet this PF. Just calling and hoping something good happens on the flop should be better. Letting people in behind you should prove more profitable than getting 3 bets in with dubious equity, and also giving UTG the option to cap you with his better hands. Also, you should consider folding here pf at least sometimes. I dunno if this is the right spot. Maybe someone else can comment.

RE: river

Since BB capped it PF, we have no clue where UTG is at, but since he is sticking with you, it's probably likely he has an overpair. There are 30 overpair combos (6x5) Half of them have clubs, so that leaves 15 that might slow down on you, and maybe he is being passive with QQc, ot JJc, or TTc, so he should have an overpair more than 15 combos worth.
Then there leaves AcKx, AxKc, AcQx, AcJx. I won't go as AxJc, but it might be in there. Who knows? Ok, so that's about 16 overcard combos. We might be about even with PFR on the river depending on how you weight the different possibilities. I think you're more likely to be a minor favorite to be a ahead, because a lot of people will play their overpairs stronger with or without a club, on the other hand that is slightly counterbalanced by the people that will jam with the ace of clubs and another big card in their hand.

So, that leaves the other people. What will they call you with? Basically, there aren't a lot of hands that will call you that you will be a favorite over when called. A5 maybe. I dunno. A smaller pocket pair? Ok, there are a few of those, but not many. Someone could be extremely dumb, and have an 8. Remember, you are betting into 3 people, and you are hoping to be a favorite WHEN CALLED, so you need so come up with a lot of hands that you beat to make up for the times someone sheepishly turns over red tens, an 8, or maybe even checkraise bluffs you outta the pot. All this stuff added together makes me want to just check behind and hope for the best.

edit: sorry if my commentary is hard to read.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:06 PM

I posted this hand hoping to hear this.
Normally I call PF but I was stuck and wanted to win a big pot. I bet the river because I was going all in, but I don't think that my bet was profitable against UTG's range.

results: UTG called and took the pot down with QQ.
thanks for the help.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Preflop: 3 betting is best if you play. I don't think folding is bad with 99 vs. a tight UTG raiser (even with a cold-caller in between).

Flop: I agree with playing it fast like you did to "make the rest of the hand easier". Some will argue that your equity is going to change alot with the turn card, so wait for the turn to raise if a brick hits. But that can be real expensive way to figure out you're against a bigger pair.

Turn - I assume you were bet/folding, which is good.

River - I dunno. Seems thin at this point. I think, most simply put, it you get called its by better hands now. UTG, or someone else may very well be TT or JJ calling down. I think most busted flush draws are going to be able to fold and not give you a crying call. Plus lots of combos of hands that could be slowplaying. I think its a check.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I was stuck and wanted to win a big pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Money helped influence your decision? Might've been time to leave.

When this player caps preflop, you're usually screwed.

Easy river check.

b
Old 10-13-2007, 06:17 PM

Check the river.

I'm not sure about the flop raise, but not sure it's wrong either.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this hand hoping to hear this.
Normally I call PF but I was stuck and wanted to win a big pot. I bet the river because I was going all in, but I don't think that my bet was profitable against UTG's range.

results: UTG called and took the pot down with QQ.
thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given UTG description, a fold pre-flop is warranted. The post-flop play isn't horrid, but given the pre-flop action, I'd likely fold the flop because there's got to be an overpair and a flush draw out there. The fact that you admit to being stuck and playing looser than you should have should be an indication you should go. I hope you left the next it was your turn to post the big blind.

Garland
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given the pre-flop action, I'd likely fold the flop because there's got to be an overpair and a flush draw out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought as well - you could easily be drawing to 1 out on the flop, or occasionally drawing nearly dead to a made flush. UTG really doesn't seem like the type to bet into a PF 3-bettor with just a draw here. and all of his made hands are beating you.