Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM

Default At what point do I need to be concerned about my stats when moving up?

[image][/image]

This is my PT screenshot of this week's play, and obviously I'm concerned with my overly nitty stats at 1/2. Did your vpip, pfr, and aggression stats go down at first when you moved up? How many hands do you think it took you to settle into each new level? I know my sample size at 1/2 is small because today was my first day, but it doesn't matter because I can feel myself holding back. I'm pretty sure it has to do with monetary reasons, as I just turned pro and am depending on winning. I played 1/2 several months ago and wasn't afraid to throw money around, but that was because I was playing as a hobby for additional income. I moved up with 21 buyins online for 1/2, but have read a few posts stating if you're playing for a living to have more than 20 buyins for the level you are playing, something more like 50. Any recommendations?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: At what point do I need to be concerned about my stats when moving up?

Whyd you have to sit on my left all morning?
I thought your play was good..whatd you 4 bet me with from the big blind when I 3 bet the donk from the SB?
My assumption right there was you were just restealing the pot and you were not only tight, but also playing the player...if thats what you did, I dont see that too much.
Also, your stats arent overly nittty for whatI usually see....wait..I thought you were running about 18/11 today...the people you want to exploit wont even notice.

Playing as a pro means different things..how much do you plan to withdraw each month will be a better indicator of if you have enough.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: At what point do I need to be concerned about my stats when moving up?

Should you be concerned about being a little tighter? No. You are playing against a different set of opponents, a set that is of a slightly higher quality. You SHOULD be playing slightly different.

However, you should be concerned if you can't explain the gap. Are you folding an extra 2% of hands preflop because you are
(a) Reacting to your opponents
(b) Scared of losing big pots
(c) Not really sure what the right play is in those situations?

(a) is good. (b) will improve over a short space of time. (c) is a problem.

One of the problems in moving up is that you learn that some of the automatic plays you make at lower levels are in fact bad plays, and only work because the opposition is poor. You move up, you get played back at....and suddenly next time a similar situation arises, you don't know what to do.

So next time you feel like you are "holding yourself back", make a note of the hand number and review it cold after the session. Decide what the right play was; if it was a bet, then next time you won't be scared to pull the trigger.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: At what point do I need to be concerned about my stats when moving

[ QUOTE ]
Should you be concerned about being a little tighter? No. You are playing against a different set of opponents, a set that is of a slightly higher quality. You SHOULD be playing slightly different.

However, you should be concerned if you can't explain the gap. Are you folding an extra 2% of hands preflop because you are
(a) Reacting to your opponents
(b) Scared of losing big pots
(c) Not really sure what the right play is in those situations?

(a) is good. (b) will improve over a short space of time. (c) is a problem.

One of the problems in moving up is that you learn that some of the automatic plays you make at lower levels are in fact bad plays, and only work because the opposition is poor. You move up, you get played back at....and suddenly next time a similar situation arises, you don't know what to do.

So next time you feel like you are "holding yourself back", make a note of the hand number and review it cold after the session. Decide what the right play was; if it was a bet, then next time you won't be scared to pull the trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience of NL200 at FTP it was a little more agro PF than 100NL.. as such other players are raising it up instead of you.. that would account for a diff in PFR stats (unless u decide to 3bet them - which i guess you would not with the freq you 2bet). This is especially so if much of your PFR comes from LP steal attempts.

20 BI is deffo not enough to be safe, you could lose 10 in a week if it all went sour.

My two cents..