Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Careful what you wish for....

Repop is 50/50 for me, especially against this guy.
Flop check is deception against what I expect is a thinking player. I also like that it opens up my options as far as turning my hand into a bluff occasionally, under-repping and getting otherwise unaccesable value on future streets, as well as good old fashioned pot control.
The turn call is three fold: pot control / rep a draw (kinda???) / induce action on river from missed draws / air / hands I beat.

Now for the river? Looks like a decent spot to rep a missed draw and throw out a weak value bet right? RIGHT? Now am I happy it worked?

Villain: 19/16
Me: 24/19

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $179.35
BTN: $96.20
SB: $21.25
BB: $133.30
UTG: $196.65
MP: $96.50

Pre-Flop: A J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3.50</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls $8.50

Flop: ($25.50) A 3 6 (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($25.50) 8 (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $16</font>, Hero calls $16

River: ($57.50) K (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $75</font>

Does anyone fold here? How off was my plan? How do you play it differently (other than preflop because we've already had this discussion this week).
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Careful what you wish for....

Oops - just AJ, not playing Omaha. Somebody tell Lego.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM

Why are you raising an UTG raiser that's 19/16 with AJo?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 AM

your river bet size is terrible. bet at least 35, and i think closer to pot is even better
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 AM

Speed: I'm 50/50 on the repop here. Sometimes I call, sometimes I raise. I realize he's under the gun, but I think you're underestimating a 19/15's UTG opening range.

CS3: This is certainly not my standard play, however I thought that a small bet might get look weak enough that he'd try to push me off of a weak hand or busted draw with air, a pp turned to a bluff, or a busted draw. I also thought that a small bet would allow him to look me up light here (TT - QQ) which would otherwise fold to a 2/3 pot size river bet).

As I said, non-standard, but I was trying somthing based on reads and your response was simply a one liner saying in essence "cook by the book'? I'm disappointed as I usually think your posts are pretty good.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:28 AM

You shouldn't be 3betting a 19/16 UTG raise EVER with AJo let alone 50% of the time
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 AM

why not just show down on the river?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

CS3: This is certainly not my standard play, however I thought that a small bet might get look weak enough that he'd try to push me off of a weak hand or busted draw with air, a pp turned to a bluff, or a busted draw. I also thought that a small bet would allow him to look me up light here (TT - QQ) which would otherwise fold to a 2/3 pot size river bet).

As I said, non-standard, but I was trying somthing based on reads and your response was simply a one liner saying in essence "cook by the book'? I'm disappointed as I usually think your posts are pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre right, i did make a quick post without thinnking much because i didnt think you would intentionally try to get him to bluff raise you.
even though you got what you wanted i still don't like it, because i think he shows up with a tricky set, AK or a backdoored flush more often than a bluff.
guys just hardly ever ch/r bluff rivers. i can count on one hand the times ive caught guys trying it.

also i think if hes going to call the 18 with KQ, JJ, QQ etc, hes just as liekly to call 40. in this case, he either believs you, or he doesnt. its not a spot where the size makes a huge difference in regards to his calling frequency, like it would if you were choosing between overbet-shoving and making a a regular value bet.

edit- and PF is fine. if this guy will fold PF with like AQo or 88-JJ then its great. 16% PRF's have a wider UTG raising range than many people think.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Snipe-
is that ^ more like what you were looking for?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be 3betting a 19/16 UTG raise EVER with AJo let alone 50% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]this and check river