Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Default NL10: JJ, line-check

This was the last hand of the session, and I had already decided to leave the table before the hand even begun. Villain is one of the two thinking players, who hasn't called that much but has not shown down much hands either.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($2.75)
Button ($4.85)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($5.70)</font>
BB ($6.05)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($12.80)</font>
UTG+1 ($13.70)
MP1 ($12)
MP2 ($4.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

<font color="blue">In hindsight, I should have raised bigger, since I was badly OOP. Maybe $0.50 or even $0.60. However, the table had been pretty nitty and very few hands went past flop.</font>

Flop: ($2.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.3</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, SB calls $1.30.

<font color="blue">No ace, and no king. Most of the common calling hands have therefore missed. I figured my jacks were either good or really badly behind, and if I was still ahead, I definitely didn't want any random draws to chase me. SB calling here was a bit odd, and I suspected he might have had a suited queen, AQ or a small pocket pair.</font>

Turn: ($4.70) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $3.90 (All-In).

<font color="blue">At this point I figured I'm pretty much committed. I really can't find a check/fold line here and only AQ or a better would be likely to call. Since SB has less than the pot left, any reasonable bet commits me into the pot and if villain has a suited queen or smaller pair, I should have enough FE here. So I might as well shove and drive out the suited queens.</font>

I think I played that hand rather badly, but exactly where (and how often) did I make a misstep? Any and all advice is very much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: NL10: JJ, line-check

Preflop your fine.

Your flop bet could have been a little bit bigger, but I don't think it would have mattered much.

Turn - Villain with that sized stack is pretty much committing the rest of it with his flop call. If villain is a thinking player,(not many thinking players will play with that stack size) then he know's that and is pretty much only doing it with hands that beat you unless you've been playing like a maniac. I check behind on the turn and try to get a cheaper showdown.

Edit: With villain's stack size you have almost no fold equity here.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Personally I wouldn't raise it that much PF, maybe just to 30-40c. It keeps the pot smaller and makes any CB smaller too, I think that's helpful when you're probably going to be OOP, particularly if an overcard hits on the flop. You can always inflate the pot after you've seen the flop (if it's favorable).

I think Cbetting is fine, I like the amount too vs the 50BB guy in the SB. Any more and you've got yourself committed because of the 'effective' stack sizes.

Check/calls concern me, maybe more than they should, thus i'd check behind on the turn. Your hand has showdown value and you can re-evaluate if he bets the river.

Disclaimer: Thats my prefernce and it may or may not be correct
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind on the turn and try to get a cheaper showdown.

Edit: With villain's stack size you have almost no fold equity here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what really should have been going through my head. It makes the most sense, especially with your edit. But that's why I'm here - learning.

Thanks.