Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 AM

Default 3-betting...

I know this is broad but:

Okay, you can generally give a range of hands to come in and raise with from each position, which one can use as a starting point and change situationally. I was wondering what sort of hands one generally reraises with. If I'm in the cutoff with AQ and a typical villain makes a standard raise which folds to me, is that a 3-bet spot? Are there any general guidelines to think about?

I ask because I really only 3-bet with TT+, or, if I'm in the blinds, AQ+, and I only 4-bet KK+.

Is this playing too weak/tight?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: 3-betting...

there are no hard and fast rules about 3betting
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Notice that I specifically asked not for rules, but for guidelines.

There are no hard and fast rules about what to do preflop, but some general ideas include "Fold J/rag" and "Raise Axs from late position."

Do you get it?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really only 3-bet with TT+, or, if I'm in the blinds, AQ+, and I only 4-bet KK+.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about my range and I'm 7PTBB/100 over 62k hands. Just play well post flop.

Cody
Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 AM

I would honestly try to avoid trying to follow any "rules" or "standards" for things like 3betting. I'd avoid 3betting anything less than JJ-AA, and AK, until you've developed a better understanding of the game.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:59 AM

I 3bet light against (bad) tags and some loose-passive raisers, generally not with any type of hand that can be dominated, quite a bit. Most go immediately into push or fold mode. Call tend to narrow range down to 88-JJ, AK/AQ. So, I tend to know where they are. The only problem with doing this is you get looked up with hands that make you vomit quite a bit. It's just better to play tight, solid poker and not get out of line most likely.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 AM

please stop making threads like this, read the stickies...seriously there are like 25 general questions like this every single day, each of which is almost perfectly answered in the stickes

sorry for the rant, but this has become ridiculous
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
please stop making threads like this, read the stickies...seriously there are like 25 general questions like this every single day, each of which is almost perfectly answered in the stickes

sorry for the rant, but this has become ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the stickies. There's an article on 3-betting light and that's it.

I'm trying to learn.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 AM

if you don't know when to 3-bet in general you DO NOT want to 3bet light. You will spew so much and then you'll post a graph and say you're running bad and whine and maybe even a pokerevgraph. Play ABC, don't bluff, don't fire two blank barrels. You have to learn to walk before you can run. Eventually the concepts will become natural to you and you'll know what to do, when to do it, and why. There is no way to bypass experience.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you don't know when to 3-bet in general you DO NOT want to 3bet light. You will spew so much and then you'll post a graph and say you're running bad and whine and maybe even a pokerevgraph. Play ABC, don't bluff, don't fire two blank barrels. You have to learn to walk before you can run. Eventually the concepts will become natural to you and you'll know what to do, when to do it, and why. There is no way to bypass experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no I don't want to learn how to 3-bet light, I just wanted to learn as to whether my current tendencies are very tight or not. I don't want to start 3-betting A5, I just wanted to know if 3-betting a 99 or an AJs is "light," or a more standard play.

I was just pointing out to the guy who directed me to the stickies that this topic isn't covered, except in regards to doing it with a light hand.