Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Standard?

5/T

BB is 29/23/3 WTSD 31%

This is very draw heavy flop if BB check-raise flop he probably has a draw. I decided to raise turn not to 3bet flop because turn raise gets usually more respect and if he happens to be small pocket pair or pair of sevens he probably would fold them. Do you like this play?

Hero is CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB check, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero raise, BB calls

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB check, Hero bets
Old 10-11-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Standard?

I don't think it's standard. In blind battle on a board that drawy nobody is folding a pair and maybe not even ace high. I much prefer to take the boring line of calling the flop c/r, calling the turn and folding the river UIed. I think we're just committing too many bets in a smallish pot hoping villain has a A/K high draw and will fold to the river bet.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 AM

I don't think this should be your standard move in this situation. This is definitly a fine way to play the hand, but I would not call it standard.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 AM

how is raising here on he turn gonna accomplish anything exept hugh variance, and most villians dont like to b/f so he prolly woudnt fold a 7 on the turn
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 AM

Assuming the stats are over some kind of significant sample, I would definitely be making some kind of semibluff here which included betting through the river UI. Someone who SD 31% is folding a ton postflop. He's folding 7's and certainly his A/K-high draws. Occasionally even bad 9's. In any case, his range is heavily weighted toward draws and Qx+. Most likely he doesn't c/r a 7 here. There are a lot of Ax and Kx of spades along with KJ/KT. Bluffing also allows you to win the pot when he has a worse semi-bluff and would 3-barrel.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 AM

If that read is over a significant no. of hands I think playing it the way you did is fine some of the time.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, his range is heavily weighted toward draws and Qx+. Most likely he doesn't c/r a 7 here. There are a lot of Ax and Kx of spades along with KJ/KT. Bluffing also allows you to win the pot when he has a worse semi-bluff and would 3-barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

So many draws in his range that you want to take the initiative from. If you just c/c c/f turn and river you hand over the pot to his KT, KJ, other straight draws, flush draws and 7x

C/r the turn is completely standard for me here
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

My first thoughts were spew, but I think there might just be enough draws in his hand to make it worth it.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any case, his range is heavily weighted toward draws and Qx+. Most likely he doesn't c/r a 7 here. There are a lot of Ax and Kx of spades along with KJ/KT. Bluffing also allows you to win the pot when he has a worse semi-bluff and would 3-barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

So many draws in his range that you want to take the initiative from. If you just c/c c/f turn and river you hand over the pot to his KT, KJ, other straight draws, flush draws and 7x

C/r the turn is completely standard for me here

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure we lose an opportunity to the win the pot against K/A high draws, but like I said earlier he probably won't fold any pairs to our turn raise/river follow through. It just doesn't seem to me that the hands we benefit from getting him to fold make up a large enough portion of his range for this line to be more profitable than c/c c/f.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 PM

what do you guys think about calling the turn to raise the river? this seems like the kind of guy who will b/f a hand as strong as 9x or maybe even a weak Q on the river if we raise (depending on our image). I think a turn raise is more likely to get called down because it is more likely to be a draw. also this line folds out the same better high card draws but doesn't leave us open to a turn 3bet semibluff

the biggest problem I can see with this is if he c/c the river with a mediocre showdownable hand like 9x that he may fold to a turn raise + river bet