Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Default AQ OOTB vs. aggro CO/Button that doesn\'t fold

I've been in this situation quite a bit recently. The villain is running at 26/24/5 or so and is just raising anything in the cutoff or button. I pick up AQ in the SB and BB. If I 3-bet, he's going to be calling pre-flop about 50% of the time and raising/floating a lot of flops.

I've been thinking about ways to adjust to this. Let me know which of these you think would work better than others and advice for playing AQ, AJ, KQ, and some other hands which while ahead of his range are tough to play OOP on most boards.

1. Flat call more often in the blinds with a hand like AQ. If i flop an A or Q I'm going to be way ahead of his range and often have him dominated. Thus, I can c/r a lot of flops and get more value. The downside to this is that more often than not I'm going to miss the flop and he'll take it down with aggression.

2. Re-pop him pre-flop and then check a flop which I don't like. This is obviously exploitable as it allows him to just call pre-flop and then bet the flop. To counter this, I could check the flop with a hand like AA or KK sometimes and c/r him. I guess I could also c/r him with my AQ if I miss as a bluff - this line assumes we are going to be playing more together and is more for metagame - I don't know how applicable it would be vs. your standard bad villain.

3. Double barrel more even if I miss and put him to the test. Again - this might end up being spew in the short run.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: AQ OOTB vs. aggro CO/Button that doesn\'t fold

i like to keep the pot smaller and call more pf. if i rr i would bet flop/shove turn a lot.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM

2 is the way to go, i play similar to villain pretty often and 2 is by far the most annoying, call flop CR shove turn if he doubles is sick assuming you are viewed as tag
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM

These spots have been giving me fits aswell. What about flat calling and making a play when you miss too? If he calls the flop and you have air what boards are you shoving the turn with?

Another trouble spot for me from the blinds is made MPP like 77-99 that I know are ahead a villain who is like 30/20 and has a steal attempt of 40+. I 3bet these guys and they call IP flop is overs and I fire, they call. Can I shove turn profitably? Should I be 3betting here?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like to keep the pot smaller and call more pf. if i rr i would bet flop/shove turn a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
How often do you really shove ace high no draw on the turn? I can't even imagine doing it; it feels like I would lose so much money if I did this. No one ever folds.