Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 AM

Default 200/400 Stud vs. Cindy V

To continue in the spirit of HOWMANY's recent high stakes stud posts, I will contribute one that happened a few months ago that still lingers in my mind from time to time.

200/400 Mixed, S/E

Stud High:

Some low brings it in, a bunch of door cards between 4 to T fold to me:

(A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I complete to 200

Cindy Violette with:

(XX)J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

reraises, the bring in folds.

At this point, I have seen her play back many times during this session against presumed ante steals so I reraise her, she just calls.

BTW, I was pretty convinced I had the best hand at this point and was willing to go into a war with her on 3rd, I guess this is why she wins at Stud so much, she relies on male ego to show her who's boss. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

4th

Me (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Cindy (XX)J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet she calls.

5th

Me (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Cindy (XX)J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet and she calls fast. At this point, I know at least one club was dead maybe two, this hand did take place a few months ago.

6th

Me (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Cindy Cindy (XX)J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet she calls.

Now the river down and dirty:

Me (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Damn, brick city.

Now I have seen Cindy make some sick calls in Stud, calling with buried deuces, baby 2 pair vs. flush and straight boards, etc.

It is hard to put her on a hand sometimes because I know she is capable of playing back with junk and with her board I have no idea what she is calling down with considering I don't give her credit for J's or any pair in the hole.

So my male ego shrivels up and checks. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Results

I am going out of town and might not be able to see the responses and don't want to leave you guys hanging.

I checked and she checked behind.

I rapped the table like you got it girl and she hesitated, I rapped again and she tables:

(9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

Are you f-ing kidding me!!!

I am pretty sure she is calling 7th, so maybe I should have checked 6th to get a free one?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Results

She's a professional
Old 10-09-2007, 11:40 AM

I like the 3rd street play, but to say you think you usually have the best hand...well, maybe. I would instead say you sometimes have the best hand, but not usually. 4th is obviously standard and the 5th bet is good I think. Now, if you are going to give up on the river I would have checked 6th street (and possibly even check/raised?!?!?). Although obviously everyone knows the mantra "if you are calling a bet, you should bet yourself" but that's not the case if your opponent is likely to check and you would enjoy a free card. Now, if you know she will bet any pair here on 6th street, then you need to use that to your advantage when you actually have a real hand.

If she checked behind I would probably value bet the river if I made a big pair (A/K/Q) or a flush. If I made a straight with the J I might actually check/raise since then it's even less likely she has anything, so you might get more out of her by inducing a bluff. If I missed I would probably check/fold, but I might bluff 1 out of 8 times or so. Also, in the event that I value-bet one pair on the end I would do so fast and make it look like I whiffed on 6th street so that she doesn't sense weakness and try to bluff-raise the river.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in the event that I value-bet one pair on the end I would do so fast and make it look like I whiffed on 6th street so that she doesn't sense weakness and try to bluff-raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what are doing if she raises river?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 200/400 Stud vs. Cindy V

I don't play these stakes, but I see a lot of people overplay high door cards in MTTs, where the play is also tight.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM

I think you played the hand fine. You put her not necessarily on a pair of jacks but on a lot of other weak hands. If you thought she had a somewhat decent hand on 6th I would check call but you obviously don't want to have to draw and just want to take the pot there. Her board on 6th is usually unimproved with what her probable starting hand was. Against a board that weak I usually keep on firing. You were just unlucky she made a medium pair to keep calling you down on.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 PM

Completely standard, I am sure that she has learned this play from the best of the best in the Stars 30 Stud 8 game.

Step 1: build a pot posturing with nothing
Step 2: be right 10% of the time and get lucky by making a pair so that your nothing notches their nothing
Step 2: be wrong 90% of the time and be up against a big hand but then make two pair between 5th-7th and win anyway

I've been on the receiving end of this power play more times than I care to remember.

Seriously, her play looks terrible and yours looks good. I think you could either check 6th (either call or c/r if she bets) or bet the river and hope that she folds a rivered pair if she happened to have a straight draw.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Completely standard, I am sure that she has learned this play from the best of the best in the Stars 30 Stud 8 game.

Step 1: build a pot posturing with nothing
Step 2: be right 10% of the time and get lucky by making a pair so that your nothing notches their nothing
Step 2: be wrong 90% of the time and be up against a big hand but then make two pair between 5th-7th and win anyway

I've been on the receiving end of this power play more times than I care to remember.

Seriously, her play looks terrible and yours looks good. I think you could either check 6th (either call or c/r if she bets) or bet the river and hope that she folds a rivered pair if she happened to have a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you know her play looks terrible and she is posturing when you don't know what she had. Whatever she had probably beats OP's ace high.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 PM

OP said her hole cards were 962r?