Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Lifting While Sick

I've had a sore throat and hoarse voice for the last few days. I'm gonna see the doctor on Wednesday if it doesn't go away by then, but what should I do for the next few days? Should I just skip my workouts and rest? Or would you recommend trying to stick with my normal routine? I feel fine overall (not tired, weak, sore, etc.), but I just don't know if lifting will have adverse effects on my immune system or something. Yes I know that you're all not doctors, but I'd appreciate any advice you can give before I have a chance to talk to one.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Lifting While Sick

immune system function is lowered after strenuous exercise...depending on how ill you are lifting might be unwise...but if you feel fine then i think some light work would be ok, i wouldn't try to max dl or anything really intense though...
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM

Lifting definitely makes you weaker, and a cold can make it hard to do good lifting.

The general rule of thumb doctors have is that if you only have "head" symptoms, it's fine to do some exercise. If you have a whole body cold (aching muscles, wracking cough) then you should take it easy.

BTW bed rest has been shown to have zero benefit for cold sufferers, so you can certainly do some mild exercise without causing any problems.

Also if you actually have true influenza (very rare) there's a small risk of severe muscle tissue damage when you work out.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Gauage it based on how you feel. If you are truly sick your lifts will suffer and can be more prone to injury and you will be out for a lot longer than a couple of days.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The general rule of thumb doctors have is that if you only have "head" symptoms, it's fine to do some exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's definitely just head symptoms. Thanks for the advice guys, and I think I'll try to do my normal Monday routine of squat, bench, row, and abs, but maybe drop the weight by 10% or something.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM

FWIW, to decrease the effects of immune suppression after a hard workout, especially in the upcoming winter months, take your carb-protein drink post workout drink, 1 Gram of vitamin C, and Vitamin E
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 AM

Heavy training makes your immune system weaker. I wouldn't advise to lift. Try resting for a few days. It will only do you good.

Like as LocustHorde said, you should try to use some vitamines. I use them especially in winter.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 PM

don't work out if you don't feel good. it will be a total waste of time and it will hurt your recovery from the illness on top of that.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 AM

don't do it, you might make other members of your gym sick which is totally inconsiderate
Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't do it, you might make other members of your gym sick which is totally inconsiderate

[/ QUOTE ]

Self control. You don't have to suck on your fingers and rub your eyes after touching gym equipment.