Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM

Default My story

This probably shouldn't be posted here, but I like this forum the best so I posted it here anyways. Well, I turned 18 today. That's besides the point, but anyways, I started playing poker seriously about a year ago. After making about 1500 dollars last summer playing low-stakes cash games, I decided I'd make a deposit on Stars. I played very rarely because of all the school activities I was involved in. (football, basketball, and I'm second in my class)However, after winning the $3 rebuy and doing well 4-tabling $200 nl, I had about a $10,000 bankroll by mid-January. I cashed $5,000 out and put it into a mutual fund. The success continued and by mid-February I had about an $8500 bankroll. One night I decided I'd play 5-10 nl; just one table i told myself, try the level out. In about 100 hands I tripled up for a $2,000 dollar profit. Well, this was the absolute worst possible thing that could have happened and to make a long story short, I got dumb, cocky and pissed away 10,000 dollars in about 2 weeks.
Now, my real reason for posting is to get thoughts, ideas on how to rebuild a bankroll ( I have about $500 in my stars account) and hear other similiar stories. ( I think I remember Ansky telling a similiar story about him blowing a roll) Anyways, any comments, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: My story

[ QUOTE ]
Now, my real reason for posting is to get thoughts, ideas on how to rebuild a bankroll ( I have about $500 in my stars account) and hear other similiar stories. ( I think I remember Ansky telling a similiar story about him blowing a roll) Anyways, any comments, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same way you built it to begin with.

Its going to be tempting to play at your previous stakes, but you are under-rolled and variance can break you again, even if you play well.

If you like Stars and are good at tourneys play the cheap sats and load up on T$, then use the T$ to win real $ at SnG's and MTTs.

If you just want $$$ and to play cash games, just stay at the buy in's your roll dictates, and you will move up quick enough.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-03-2006, 05:15 PM

sounds like you're good at low stakes cash games... play $10NL (or maybe $25NL). Don't play higher than that. Even if you think you can. Don't. Just don't do it. Stop it.

As for stories... one time I won a weekly round 2 freeroll on stars for $100. I eventually lost it all. Then I got a free $50 on party, played .5/1 fixed limit, won a few hundred, won a $5 mtt on party for a couple thousand, cashed out all but 500, transferred it to stars and... played within my bankroll. The end.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:30 PM

Yea, I think I'm gonna play sng's for a while. I've been tilting bad lately, and it's harder to tilt when pushbotting.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
( I think I remember Ansky telling a similiar story about him blowing a roll)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had my fair share of bad runs, but I've never gone busto.

If you're referring to this post, then yes I talk about losing a substantial portion of my roll around your age, before getting back on track.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been tilting bad lately,

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop playing then until you get your [censored] together.

Taking a break can often be the best thing for your game.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM

GOODLUCK.

A feel good story: when party put blackjack on their software, I pissed away $5K of profits in about 2 weeks. I took the rest of my roll, uninstalled party and put it in stars where I have built it back up playing with the tards at 6-max 1/2 nl and the 180 SnGs. Havent had much success in the larger MTTs, but thats why im on this forum learning.

Just dont be a stupid and play within your limit. Also, youre 18 and investing in mutual funds, so you obviously have a good head on your shoulders. I just graduated college and have been working since the summer and yet to invest any of my salary in mutual funds even though my company matches like 3%. Living in new york sucks for saving money.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're referring to this post, then yes I talk about losing a substantial portion of my roll around your age, before getting back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be part of the Anthology, very,very good post.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be part of the Anthology, very,very good post.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also this one where I bitch and whine about losing.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Quality as well.

Now quit answering every freaking post before I do so I can have something to do to dick away the rest of my work day.

Its good to be the King.

Regards,
Woodguy