Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Tilting every session

Ok, a bit of background. I've been playing about 3 years, I'm in college and haven't had to work due to tournament winnings and scholarships. I'm pretty good at tournaments, however lately I've been trying to play cash games/sngs to make steady money(and bc tournaments take 5-6hrs).
The problem is that I apparently go on tilt almost every session. I probably do this in tournaments however I guess increased aggression doesn't hurt me as much. Although there are many tournaments when I've blown a big stack near the end, which killed my chances.

Losing triggers tilt, feeling like I'm being manipulated triggers massive tilt, I just don't know what to do. It seems like I tilt every session.

right now, I was playing with $50 on fulltilt and got it up to $66 at the NL$10 which is a lot less than my regular stakes. Then after it gradually dwindling down to $57, I go up to $25NL and bam, get 3-betted twice, fold once and then call and get my stack in with J high. after bluffing twice.

any advice?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Tilting every session

I recently set some rules for myself:
- I can play at most 90 minutes in a row. Then I have to take a break before I start the next session.
- 3 buy-in stop loss.

Both of these rules prevent playing bad.

It also looks like you still have a lot to learn about bankroll management and can improve your game a lot. I suggest not playing many tables, focusing on your thought process every hand, analyse tough hands after each session (post them here or discuss with better players), and doing everything else to become a better player.

If you really keep tilting, take a break of a week or two.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 AM

This is a massive problem that only you can figure out.
The problem: You tilt when you lose
Solution: Stop playing after a big loss, or something that angers you, even a little bit.

Your ultimate goal: Stop tilting
How?: Quit sessions immediately after you feel like you may tilt.

Your First goal: have a poker session where you don't tilt at all.

Once you can string up 5-10 session without tilting, you are making progress.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then after it gradually dwindling down to $57, I go up to $25NL and ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Never move up to chase losses. Ever. Move up when you've established a consistent win rate at a given level, you have sufficient bankroll for the next level, and you have bankroll plan for how many buy-ins you will lose before going back down, and how many buy-ins you will win before moving up another level.

You're cash game results will improve with better BR management, for starters.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never move up to chase losses. Ever. Move up when you've established a consistent win rate at a given level, you have sufficient bankroll for the next level, and you have bankroll plan for how many buy-ins you will lose before going back down, and how many buy-ins you will win before moving up another level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people insist on moving up when they lose? I've done it myself in the past. This is counterproductive yet I see it posted all the time. Does anyone know why this is everyones reaction to losing and tilting?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people insist on moving up when they lose? I've done it myself in the past. This is counterproductive yet I see it posted all the time. Does anyone know why this is everyones reaction to losing and tilting?

[/ QUOTE ]

To win back all their losses quickly and without much effort?

Happened to me perfectly a few months ago on my big spin-up - I'd tilted off a buyin at 2/4 and at 1/2. So I sat with $1000 at $5/$10, and the very first hand I'm dealt I flop the nut straight with a backdoor flush draw, and some idiot gets it in against me with three pair for a $2k pot. I leave the table immediately after. Instant results!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Using one lucky situation to support a general policy is retarded and shows a complete lack of understanding.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using one lucky situation to support a general policy is retarded and shows a complete lack of understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't genuingly suggesting that because he won it was a good thing to do.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't genuingly suggesting that because he won it was a good thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. And, when you're in an agitated tilty frame of mind and your game has gone, you're more likely instead to lose MUCH more money than if you stuck to your usual limit.