Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Strange AQ hand

I just sat down at the table and have never seen villain before. From datamining, villain was playing 36/3/1.

IME people with flush draws usually dont bet them on the turn when raised on the flop (with the exception of minbetting). I actually think villain's line looks kind of strong considering his stats. FWIW he both called my raise and bet out on the turn pretty quickly.

Should I just shove the turn here or play it cautiously and call, despite the drawy board?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $54
Hero (CO): $50
BTN: $50.15
SB: $40.80
BB: $38.55

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.25</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $2.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG calls $4.50

Turn: ($19.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $6.50</font>, Hero ???
Old 10-07-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Strange AQ hand

A very strange play from villain, there's a chance he is strong here. It is best to call and re-evaluate the river.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 AM

He might be on KQ, QJ, or Qx flush draw.

His V$IP looks highish so I'd give him a pretty broad range.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 AM

Raise way more on the flop (You are offering him like 3:1) make it 10-12.

I agree with Blue Bear. Call and re-eval... I think he has weaker Queens alot here tho (QT would also be a part of that)
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 AM

This looks to me like a set, sometimes a FD but his AF says it's probably not. QT is also possible. I think you are behind his range now, but given the odds I'd call and re-eval turn. Perhaps you are splitting this.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Bigger flop raise.

I probably just call the turn.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 AM

I think there is an excellent chance that you are behind and might even consider folding this hand but I might see the river card depending on the flow (ie. how likely he is to offer a free showdown). I think raising is pretty bad, too.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 AM

call turn, evaluate river
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM

This looks like a decent attempt at a blocking bet, but at FTP NL50, I don't think I've ever seen anyone perform a decent blocking bet, so this confuses me also.

On the other hand, re-evaluating on the river is gonna be scary. If any club (9 outs), K, J, 8, 9, or 7 hits (excl clubs, thats 15 outs), then you've got 24 cards that can really make you uncertain. I'm also excluding additional 10's or 3's from my concern because I don't think he has these, and if anything make 2 pair for you which has some advantages, so I call those neutral. SO half the flops you see will be scary in some way shape or form.

I'm gonna depart from the crowd and say I bump this to $22 and see if he wants to come along for the ride, and fold to a re-raise. If he calls and we go to the river, it depends on what hits, but you need to be able to lay it down if needed, which won't be easy.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM

I think you would get all the info you would have needed if you raised more on the flop. If he calls and leads the turn the alarms are really starting to go off in my head, this is a guy with an AF of 1, leading into a raiser twice.

Lostit, not a fan of raising the turn if you are folding to a push... you are going to fold getting 4-1? Basically you are allowing him to decide if he wants to play for stacks.

As played, it is a tough situation, it still could be a draw beacuase of your flop reraise size, but still I probably call the turn and a small river bet.