Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Is Cynicism increasing with time?

I meant the word in the present day meaning:

From wiki,

"Currently, the word 'cynicism' generally describes the opinions of those who maintain that self-interest is the primary motive of human behaviour, and are disinclined to rely upon sincerity, human virtue, or altruism as motivations."

and not in the meaning given by the ancient Greeks.

I think with every day that passes the world is a more cynical place, and looks to me that "old" virtues are in its way of extinction and being replaced with cynicism ones,

What do you think?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Is Cynicism increasing with time?

I dug out a map of the world of just pre WWI.
Nope. I think we're in better cynical shape.

luckyme
Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

com on I'm stupid, don't leave me hanging.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
com on I'm stupid, don't leave me hanging.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you have
Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 AM

Both yes and no. I think people are more cynical to 'truths' because they know more. You can't just represent some world view and then have people buy it, and different ways to go about the same thing can both be correct etc. So you'll see more mockery, sarcasm and irony etc.

But also I think you see less cynical views sometimes because information spreads so long and fast now, that alot of people care about more than their own 'social sphere'. Atleast to a much larger degree than before.

And many times I think the simple fact that societies grow larger and more complex are mistaken for cynicism. You can't know and care for everyone anymore, it is unlikely that you will hold one job your entire life - so the employer has lost its status as 'patriarch', you hear alot of bad stories nuch of the time so it takes a real shocker too make you react etc.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM

You could probably answer this question better by taking a poll of all the people you know between the ages of 35 to 100...Why?Because these are the people that have lived more than 1 generation and they can actually contrast the way they handle/perceive the world now versus their earlier years...There definitely seems to be different lifestyle practices between now and say the 1960's...
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Beauty is within the eye of the beholder.
I assume cynism is pretty much the same

Be the change you want to see in the world.

But yes old virtues are going to be extincted and it has always been that way.

The amount of cyniscm or cruelty can also be explained by the amount of media coverage. A sad story sells more newspapers than a happy story.

I haven't lived for so long, so i can not judge if the world has become more cynical or not.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant the word in the present day meaning:

From wiki,

"Currently, the word 'cynicism' generally describes the opinions of those who maintain that self-interest is the primary motive of human behaviour, and are disinclined to rely upon sincerity, human virtue, or altruism as motivations."

I think with every day that passes the world is a more cynical place, and looks to me that "old" virtues are in its way of extinction and being replaced with cynicism ones,

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Cynicism is relative and subjective. I think on whole, with all things being equal (education, intelligence, awareness etc.) the cynicism quotient is, at worst, static.

In present times, I personally believe that there is a stronger case for optimism than cynicism.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let's travel back to around 1830 and look around the world. nope. don't wanna go there.
1939. nope.
1959. nope.
1988. nope. cold war, china
1999 heck, presidents were lying about sex and it was a big deal ... maybe that's the halcyon times.
2006 yikes!
you're scaring me.

oh, wait, some atheists just gave a fortune to charity, forgoing the usual rape and pillage.
Deal me in !

luckyme
Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 PM

BPA optimism has a lot of upside potential in your personal life as long as its not blind optimism...

I think the OP is asking if the worldview is becoming more cynical...If you don't want to ask individuals who have lived an extended enough time to compare societies and values across generations then look at some statistics today...Unwed mother stats seem to be on the rise, pedophilia seems to be rampant, violence in schools is on the rise...Then take a look at some of the problems that spin off from these events occurring ...The reason I say you can poll older folks is they actually can tell you how they acted 20, 40 or 60 years ago versus the actions they take today...For example, 40 years ago a lot of kids walked to school...now most ride...Of course traffic is a factor, but sometimes it isn't a factor...say your subdivision is 3 blocks from the school and it would be a nice little healthy walk for your kid...many parents will opt to drive their kids instead of letting them walk...why is that? Isn't the answer obvious...for safety reasons that never even occurred to people 40 years ago...When you are fearful all the time its bound to have an affect on the level of your cynicism....