Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Default A Point About The Less Mainstream Religions

Is that the average practioner's beliefs is not just a little more off the wall than those of more mainstream religionrs. Even if its precepts are only slightly nuttier. Because members of mainstream religions often take the silly details with a grain of salt. They call themselves Jews or Catholics or Methodists because they believe in God and because of social reasons. But deep down they have a lot of doubt about the specifics. Knowing that if they didn't, they would be morons.

I would think a much smaller percntage of Mormons or Calvinists, or Scientologists, etc. harbor these doubts. They would be more likely to leave if they did.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: A Point About The Less Mainstream Religions

I would contend that many or perhaps most of the people in these groups rarely think about the specifics. How many of them even know the specifics and their alternatives?

I doubt that the average religious person spends much time thinking about the minutiae of their respective religions. It simply doesn't matter much to one's day to day existence. How often do you think Mormons really stop to think about how Joseph Smith received his message from God?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you think Mormons really stop to think about how Joseph Smith received his message from God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sacrament meeting, Sunday school, primary, priesthood meeting, family home evening, visiting teachers, home teachers, Seminary class, etc, etc. I would say, at least 7 times a week. Note, that the Joseph Smith topic is a principal topic of discussion.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you think Mormons really stop to think about how Joseph Smith received his message from God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sacrament meeting, Sunday school, primary, priesthood meeting, family home evening, visiting teachers, home teachers, Seminary class, etc, etc. I would say, at least 7 times a week. Note, that the Joseph Smith topic is a principal topic of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget full/part time missionaries.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would contend that many or perhaps most of the people in these groups rarely think about the specifics. How many of them even know the specifics and their alternatives?

I doubt that the average religious person spends much time thinking about the minutiae of their respective religions. It simply doesn't matter much to one's day to day existence. How often do you think Mormons really stop to think about how Joseph Smith received his message from God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have to agree with others here. Every Mormon I've ever known was extremely well studied in his faith. Much more so than other religious sects I've had experience with. Also I agree with Sklanksy that this makes them all the more crazy.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they have a lot of doubt about the specifics. Knowing that if they didn't, they would be morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because members of mainstream religions often take the silly details with a grain of salt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this thread, but it's serendipitous that I caught it today, since it ties in with something I was thinking about Romney.

People who are generally repulsed by religion should be all the more alarmed by Romney's Mormonism, not for the reason Sam Harris gives -- that it's even nuttier than mainstream Xtianity -- but rather because it is widely perceived to be nuttier.

Because this is the case, it is more convincing that Romney is sincere in his "illogical" beliefs than another candidate, for whom religion might be a political advantage.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have to agree with others here. Every Mormon I've ever known was extremely well studied in his faith. Much more so than other religious sects I've had experience with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this makes them more crazy or not, but for all their flaws, the Mormons are definitely dedicated.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I missed this thread, but it's serendipitous that I caught it today, since it ties in with something I was thinking about Romney.

People who are generally repulsed by religion should be all the more alarmed by Romney's Mormonism, not for the reason Sam Harris gives -- that it's even nuttier than mainstream Xtianity -- but rather because it is widely perceived to be nuttier.

Because this is the case, it is more convincing that Romney is sincere in his "illogical" beliefs than another candidate, for whom religion might be a political advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree here. Senator Frank Church was a member of my personal Mormon Congregation in Eagle Idaho and he used Mormonism clearly, as a means to a political end ( from what I personally witnessed, he only showed up in church during election times and never at any other time). He, in my opinion didn’t take the faith seriously. However, most Mormons take their faith very seriously. If Romney has done the same thing as Church, then fine, but he needs to let people know that the Mormon prophet of God, won’t be a person guiding him, and that the country of Israel, with its contentions with the Arabs, won’t be a factor regarding the second coming of Christ, which is a huge factor in Mormon theology.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the average practioner's beliefs is not just a little more off the wall than those of more mainstream religionrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So of what value if any is this point that you decided needed airing?

pokervintage