Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Hypothetical hand question

So here's my hypothetical dilemma. Since it hasn't happened yet, I don't have stats or anything, but say you are UTG in a 6-handed game, you've all got 100BB stacks. You have A7s, you limp with it. The CO raises up to 4BB, and you call. Flop comes A 9 4, with no flush draw for you. I guess you can put the villain's range on broadway hands, 88-AA, and maybe some SCs? How do you play this? Check/raise/fold to a reraise? Just a pretty basic question I have.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical hand question

Bet it, see what he does.

But this is the problem when you limp in with marginal hands - you give yourself tough decisions post-flop. Here you have top pair with middle-kicker, a classic dilema.

You want the pot here so make it a decent sized bet - if you get re-raised i'd be inclined to dump.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Okay. How do you feel if you bet it and he just calls you? Say some brick hits next, a J or a T or something. What's your plan?

Now what if you're looking at this, but you have the flush draw with your aces on the flop? Do you bet it out? Do you call a raise or do you push harder?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. How do you feel if you bet it and he just calls you? Say some brick hits next, a J or a T or something. What's your plan?[/QUOTE]

If he's on a flush draw and hits a brick I think you have to bet again.

[ QUOTE ]
Now what if you're looking at this, but you have the flush draw with your aces on the flop? Do you bet it out? Do you call a raise or do you push harder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet it like you've got it.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 PM

"If he's on a flush draw and hits a brick I think you have to bet again."

Can you put him on that though? Isn't it more likely, given his range, that he's on an A, maybe an A10, AJ, or something who's also worried about his kicker?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM

Since it hasn't happened yet I go back to the beginning and open with a raise. Or I fold

As played I lead out. Fold to raise. The problem you have is you limped preflop and now you're repping the Ace. There's not much else going on. Does your opponent believe this. As already mentioned you've put yourself in a tough spot. I think a preflop raise helps define the hands and also the post flop action.

Another option is to C/C turn and re-evaluate on river after most likely checking again. If he's the type to float and then try to steal on your weakness you can pick him off.

If the flop gives me a flush draw with top pair I'm pushing real hard. If the turn gives me a flush draw I might bet again, might not. Depends on opponent. If he likes to slow play big hands (AK might be considered big here by some) then I don't want him to put in a big raise over my bet so I might check so as not to get raised off the hand