Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Default HUNLHE on FTP, is this standard at these limits?

villain is tag, continuation bets alot, shuts down on flop to my CB's certainly not a "Preflop Raiser" unless he/she has the goods. He has also called me twice firing at the river with Air, however never raised.....

Full Tilt Poker 2+.15 HU SNG
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: t1610
Hero: t1390

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB calls t15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t45)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t60, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t30</font>, SB calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t90)</font>.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t120, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t180)</font>.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t240, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t240</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t960</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t1270</font>, SB calls t310 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2470)</font>.

My thinking here was he slowplayed a set or had AK/AQ and I just want some comment on how I played this hand. I am new to HU so dont hesitate to comment on all streets, I need the constructive critisism. Thanks.

Results:
Final pot: t2780
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: HUNLHE on FTP, is this standard at these limits?

Standard.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Since I would have called a raise with 33 oop , I probably would have raised the BB rather than check it . So most likely , I make it 90 to go pre.

On the turn , I think betting $60 is slightly better than checking , although this is player dependent . On the river you played it well and you should win here almost always .
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

yeah. the turn call was close, not so much because it is too likely we are behind, but more because a near impossible to call river bet looks likely (well obviously not such a problem if you set, but still :P).
Old 10-05-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I would have called a raise with 33 oop , I probably would have raised the BB rather than check it . So most likely , I make it 90 to go pre.

On the turn , I think betting $60 is slightly better than checking , although this is player dependent . On the river you played it well and you should win here almost always .

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is(maybe all wrong) I almost never raise preflop(heads up) to hide the strength of my hand. However I like CB
flops alot. I feel that by raising PreFlop, you show strength, if you limp often,you disguise hand strength vs. trash. Is this considered to be weak?(maybe)

I guess in general: raising against a "good" player only with strong hands, will cause the player to shut down/no action, as opposed to limping with strong hands, could force your opponent to make a major mistake......

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah. the turn call was close, not so much because it is too likely we are behind, but more because a near impossible to call river bet looks likely (well obviously not such a problem if you set, but still :P).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree somewhat here, villain only made 1/2 pot size bet, I prolly call here/fold here 50% of the time. Certainly mathematically, I feel it was incorect to call, but I really like my implied odds here....
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is(maybe all wrong) I almost never raise preflop(heads up) to hide the strength of my hand. However I like CB
flops alot. I feel that by raising PreFlop, you show strength, if you limp often,you disguise hand strength vs. trash. Is this considered to be weak?(maybe)

I guess in general: raising against a "good" player only with strong hands, will cause the player to shut down/no action, as opposed to limping with strong hands, could force your opponent to make a major mistake......

Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't necessarily show strength if you raise/re-raise with the right frequency . If you're only raising with few hands then you do in fact give off too much information .

Limping may also be a great strategy in exploiting people's postflop game or even how they handle your limps preflop .
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Turn is horrible. Check/raise if you are going to continue since he bet so weak if you think he has will bet/fold a 9. Otherwise fold the other 99% of the time.

And calling for "implied odds" when you have 2 outs is pretty horrendous considering you will never stack him 100% of the time when you do hit and you might not even be ahead when you do somehow miraculously hit your "outs".
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And calling for "implied odds" when you have 2 outs is pretty horrendous considering you will never stack him 100% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think villain is getting away from a set here?
Inevitable that villain would call here. Obviously any card but a 3, Im shutting down here, just so happened a "miracle" occured.

[ QUOTE ]
when you do hit and you might not even be ahead when you do somehow miraculously hit your "outs".

[/ QUOTE ]

One could argue that a raise on the turn here would help get a more defined idea of villain's strength, before trying to chase the "two outs".

I don't completely disagree here.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is(maybe all wrong) I almost never raise preflop(heads up) to hide the strength of my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one comment on this. I think to never raise preflop the whole game is a very big mistake. While it may add some decpetion to your pre-flop play, you simply are not getting enough value from your good hands.

Considering that the computer hand (Q7) is is a very slight fav against any random hand your opponent is hold, there are quite many preflop hands that you can raise successfully for value. Hence by widening your range of preflop hands that you raise, you also obtain your objective of being unpredictable post-flop.

Learn to mix it up by raising suited connectors and low pocket pairs and your standard run-of-the-mill HUSNG opponents will definitely not be able to get that good a read on you postflop.

Poker fundementals state that raising your hand preflop is to 1. get value from yr hand and 2. protect your hand. Limping in all the time achieves neither.

Just my 2 cents worth.