Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 AM

Default 50NL AK TPTK - value bet river?

I just joined the table so villain is unknown. I always have trouble deciding when to value bet the river, but here I'm thinking just check/call and fold to a shove given no reads?

I didn't really want to commit myself with just one pair, but I also didn't want to make a weak looking bet, so I figured check/call and hope he shows down AJ or something? Is my line too weak?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($44)
CO ($8.25)
Button ($49)
SB ($59.90)
Hero ($51.20)
UTG ($25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Button calls $6.

Turn: ($21) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Button calls $12.

River: ($45) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $45
Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 50NL AK TPTK - value bet river?

It's a rrpot, you flop the "nuts". You should be willing to play this for stakes any day. Bet more on each street. Getting it all in on pretty much any river. This river sucks, but I'd still shove.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 AM

i usually would like to check one street with a TPTK but in this case the river check is way too weak. Since the villain has shown no agression he probably has an A with a tiny kicker. i'd bet for 2/3 pot.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a rrpot, you flop the "nuts". You should be willing to play this for stakes any day. Bet more on each street. Getting it all in on pretty much any river. This river sucks, but I'd still shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

As played I will do a smaller bet on the river. (obv not shoving)
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM

Make it 18 on turn. Thus villain must pay big time to call call call on this board against your hand.

As plated, any bet on the river commits you so check calling this river is probs my fave line. Also I enjoy check-raising this flop in a 3bet pot fwiw.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM

The first three streets basically seem all right to me. Probably I bet a little more on the turn.

The river card sucks because you're now probably losing to roughly the same number of hands that you're beating (AJ/AT/A8 are still far more plentiful than AQ in terms of combos, but there is some chance Villain has been sandbagging aces up or better on you).

If he has aces up or better, you won't get off easy with this check, or you're unlikely to, but as some compensation the check does give Villain a chance to bet a stubborn 88/TT he was unlikely to call with. I doubt it's enough compensation, though.

I think I like a smallish bet on river (with the plan of grudgingly calling a push), but I'm not sure I would have thought of it at the table. Meanwhile, just going ahead and pushing is probably better than checking.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM

Make it like 5.5 to go preflop

As played I probably bet the turn for 15-18ish or CRAI

River as played I think you miss to much value from AJ AT so I stick in $25 and slam your mouse when your min raised AI.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM

3bet more pre flop to at least to 6, bet flop, push or c/r AI turn - I'm playing for stacks here when flop comes down.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3bet more pre flop to at least to 6, bet flop, push or c/r AI turn - I'm playing for stacks here when flop comes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

TPTK in 3bet pots is teh nutz! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM

betting is better than checking for this reason: everything that beats you is going to bet, everything you beat is going to check behind. Therefore the only way to get value from hands you beat is to bet.

I think you end up chopping alot in this spot though