Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Default LC: chatting

Jhub and I have been having a discussion about chatting at the tables. Personally I think us multi-tablers should really try to chat as much as we can. Jhub agrees in principle and chats some, although not as much as I do.

People don't mind losing money nearly as much if they feel like they're playing a real human, rather than an automaton. It's fun for them to think they have a rivalry perhaps, or when they say stuff like "me and you are the only ones who know how to play", etc. Or when they give you a compliment when you get HU at the end. I actually think whether or not they get some chat back at that point makes a difference in their enjoyment of the game. Which ultimately affects our bottom line.

When I play cash around LA I mostly play for fun. I like to drink and bluff a lot. Which is why I can't stand Commerce, it seems like everyone is a lifeless freaking zombie. Whereas at the Bike or Hollywood Park, it seems like people are there more to have fun. So even if the games are softer at Commerce, I avoid it because the players are no fun.

Gramps, DD_Beast, I understand it probably hurts your ROI to try to chat. But do you guys ever worry that it's not good for the game long term? I'm not trying to call anyone out here. Just spark a discussion.

Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: LC: chatting

i like to chat a bit. i usually have it off (i.e. have the screen showing when blinds will go up), but will turn it on after an interesting hand. i find that the players i chat with i generally like. if i like them i don't do something to spite them later in the game. if i think someone is a jerk (or at least if i never chatted with them), and a bubble decision is really close, i will err on the side of screwing them.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

I sprinkle some chat in when I can, most of the time I just dont have anything to say though unless someone else starts talking, its hard when your 12-16 tabling.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM

I found when chatting with people live, they don't mind that you raise over the limps a tonne [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM

i have my chat off most of the time since it's a bit of a distraction, but if my sessions winding down i will do it to be friendly or just to goof off, and i agree with suzzer a bit but i dont think its that big of a deal.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM

I picked a female name on FTP so chatting seems to get softer play when HU or ITM. Little do they know I was so fat that I broke a chair once!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM

sometimes I'll talk to the regulars SH or HU if I have the time (while 12 tabling). I don't think it matters that much in terms of getting called lighter/people making spite calls b/c you don't chat.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM

I used to chat more when I 4 tabled. But since Party/congress crushed my soul and made me play twice as much for half the money, I don't have the heart/time to do it anymore.

Matt, from your other chatting comments it seems like you play poker for the social aspect. That's fine, and probably healthy, but keep in mind that you're addressing a forum that typically plays more tables than anyone else. Chatting while 12 tabling is really difficult and basically impossible if you cascade.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM

I think most chat is detrimental to the game b/c ppl get worked up. That being said, if you really can have a mature, friendly chat, then by all means. I turned my chat off when I used to mutli-table STTs.

Yugoslav
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to chat more when I 4 tabled. But since Party/congress crushed my soul and made me play twice as much for half the money, I don't have the heart/time to do it anymore.

Matt, from your other chatting comments it seems like you play poker for the social aspect. That's fine, and probably healthy, but keep in mind that you're addressing a forum that typically plays more tables than anyone else. Chatting while 12 tabling is really difficult and basically impossible if you cascade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play live poker for the social aspect. I play online to pay off my debts faster.

I 8-table and chatting is hard but not impossible. Or when a set winds down it's easier. I don't go out of my way to chat. Most of the time I'm just responding to something.