Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM

Default How do we fix this mess.

4/8 Limit Canterbury

This is a rules question -- cards are mostly irrelevant.

Pre-flop.

One Limper, SB Completes, BB (me) Checks

Flop

Limper Bets, SB Folds BB Raises -- and here it gets interesting.

Limper puts some chips into the pot but doesn't call raise(BB is momentarily distracted) and when he looks up, thinks he sees dealer pushing 8 checks into the pot.

Dealer, then burns and deals the Turn. After the Turn hits the board, Limper says -- "He didn't call my raise". Dealer insists that the pot is right. Limper is insistent (though polite).

Possible rulings ...

1. Limper should have spoken up when dealer was collecting the chips -- too late to correct.

2. Count the pot, if it's a bet short, pull the turn from the board, reshuffle the stub, and tell BB that it's his action. (When I thought about it upon getting home, this is what I think should have been done.)

3. Require BB to make the bet.

What actually happened.

More facts. BB's bet was a bluff. What I would have liked to do is say "I wouldn't have called" and concede the pot.

However, there were meta game concerns. I was playing well, the table was loose and juicy (money to be made here) and my feeling is that a protracted argument often cools down the table. So, it was worth $4 to me to keep things happy (and not reveal that I was bluffing).

So I said -- "I thought he just called, but count the pot, and if it's short, I'll cover the bet." While this has to be wrong technically, it made Limper happy.

In fact, the pot was short, I made my bet -- got a free card on the Turn (which didn't help) and folded the river.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: How do we fix this mess.

You should route this over to the B&M forum - some very experienced dealers and floors there. They'd know the right answer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Am I reading this right - Flop action is 3 handed and goes
Check-Check-Bet-Fold-(attempted raise)-??
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Post this im B&M.

I think #2 is correct and if that turn card didn't help limper, I'm surprised he let it stand.

The dealer is responsible for most of the mess. How he can pull 2 bets from one player and 3 bets from another and the turn a card is beyond me.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Regardless of what the dealer should have done, you did the right thing. Keep the game loose and friendly.

Of course in LHE I almost never bet the flop and fold for one more. Do that a couple of times and its like lighting up a neon sign over your head that says "take shots at me."
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Moderator -- please close this thread. I'm reposting it in B&M as suggested.

Actually, I thought I had posted it there -- took me some time to figure out where my post had gone too. I guess that's what happens when you play till 2am and post before your first cup of coffee.